What do discus eat?

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My dad is thinking about trying to do a discus tank but I know that they are extremely expensive and are sensitive to water conditions. But I was wondering what they eat and what the minimum size tank they require.

Thanks!

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A variety of flakes, pellets (pre-soaked), frozen and live foods are just fine. Anywhere from 3-5x per day.

I spend alot of time on the simplydiscus.com board and hope to keep them in the future. Some say a minimum is 55 gallons. I read alot of the seasoned discus keepers who are the experts who say 90 gallons. Also say you should keep them in a bare bottom tank at least at first. Then later on you may transfer them to a planted tank. Also water changes are very important as they require only the best and warmest conditions. Alot of keepers pre-heat their water a day in advance in a barrel with a heater.

So food, any fish foods but feed a variety. Minimum tank size, 55-90 gals depending on who you ask...

ifixoldhouses

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A good treat of blood worms can help with their color Best of luck!

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was also wondering what temp I should keep the tank for discus since they require warm water. The heater we have now is not heating the tank very well. The temp is set at 83 F on the heater and the temp finally got to 80 F and I looked at the temp today and it went down 2 degrees! So now it's at 78 F now and it refuses to go higher!

Do discus required planted tanks? Since they need warm water is it a good idea to buy an air pump?

ifixoldhouses

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
aquariumgirl lauren said:
I was also wondering what temp I should keep the tank for discus since they require warm water. The heater we have now is not heating the tank very well. The temp is set at 83 F on the heater and the temp finally got to 80 F and I looked at the temp today and it went down 2 degrees! So now it's at 78 F now and it refuses to go higher!

Do discus required planted tanks? Since they need warm water is it a good idea to buy an air pump?
85 at least, barebottom tanks are best, with a sponge filter and heater

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pretty much everything said here has been good advice.

I keep mine in bare tanks with sponge filters and heaters, with an odd airstone or two. Honestly, I just feed freeze dried blackworms at the moment. Nothing else. Homemade mixes are really good foods, but a pain to make and feed IMO, dirties the water quick, but the discus love it.

Generally stock about 1 adult fish per 10gals. More if you can keep it up. I'm a chronic overstocker, havn't had problems so far.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads