Help What disease have my Neon Tetras got?

Potato1

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Explain your emergency situation in detail. I have 9 neon tetras who are now in a 5 gallon quarantine tank (normal home is 20 gallons), most of the neons have lumps growing and/or disintergrating fins with white dots or patches on the end. What is happening, I don't want to put them back in the 20 gallon until this is fixed. This has been going on for months and I can't find answers anywhere. I have been even thinking about euthanising them which sucks. I have lost one already, he became very thin and I had to euthanise him sadly. (Photos below)

What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gallons (20 litres)
How long has the tank been running? 1.5 years
Does it have a filter? Yes x2 filters
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 25 degrees C
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
9 neon tetras and a mystery snail

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? every week
How much of the water do you change? 50-75%
What do you use to treat your water? API tap water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I just hover over the substrate as it is a plant substrate.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? API liquid tests
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm (20ppm at the end of the week)
pH: 7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? every other day
How much do you feed your fish? just a pinch
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Pisces
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? sometimes frozen bloodworms

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 5-4 months ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? disintergrating tail white dots on the edges, white bumps near mouth and/or base of tail,
Have you started any treatment for the illness? no just quarantine
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? sometimes they swim a lil wonky and they are a little thinner than they were.

image0.jpeg
IMG_6435.jpg

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is what I believe is happening based on my research.

These fish hopefully start their journey from the fish farm in healthy condition.

They are stressed by the journey, new environment, different water conditions etc.

The immune system is depressed by this stress.

Columnaris bacteria live on the fish but are normally kept in check by the immune system and are unable to invade the tissues.

Without the protection of the immune system these bacteria can invade and feed on the tissues, normally the skin, fins, gills and muscle.

This process could begin on arrival at the shop or in our tanks.

Prevention is presumably easier than cure, going on the lack of successful cure events seen.

Careful attention to Neon temperature, water parameters, oxygenation and flow, tankmates, plant cover for security etc. can help prevent the disease taking hold.

Deaths are usually due to invasion of the gills and muscle tissues.

Cure may supposedly be attempted by getting antibiotic feed into the fish and may be helped by a number of chemicals in the water. This is the approach taken in the food-fish farming industry but there is little evidence of its success in the aquarium hobby.

We are of course dealing with generally tiny fish that are already severely compromised at the point that disease is detected.

I recommend finding a reliable supplier of healthy Neon Tetras. I have found such a supplier myself.

OP
Potato1

Potato1

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Redshark1 said:
This is what I believe is happening based on my research.

These fish hopefully start their journey from the fish farm in healthy condition.

They are stressed by the journey, new environment, different water conditions etc.

The immune system is depressed by this stress.

Columnaris bacteria live on the fish but are normally kept in check by the immune system and are unable to invade the tissues.

Without the protection of the immune system these bacteria can invade and feed on the tissues, normally the skin, fins, gills and muscle.

This process could begin on arrival at the shop or in our tanks.

Prevention is presumably easier than cure, going on the lack of successful cure events seen.

Careful attention to Neon temperature, water parameters, oxygenation and flow, tankmates, plant cover for security etc. can help prevent the disease taking hold.

Deaths are usually due to invasion of the gills and muscle tissues.

Cure may supposedly be attempted by getting antibiotic feed into the fish and may be helped by a number of chemicals in the water. This is the approach taken in the food-fish farming industry but there is little evidence of its success in the aquarium hobby.

We are of course dealing with generally tiny fish that are already severely compromised at the point that disease is detected.

I recommend finding a reliable supplier of healthy Neon Tetras. I have found such a supplier myself.
Thanks for the info! It was really helpful.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the thanks LOL!

I've been through a long period battling this but it was worth it as my Neons are now healthy.

Any questions just ask.

19.03.10 Cube Steve Joul.jpg

19.02.07 Cube Aquarium Steve Joul (6).jpg

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator