Question What Different Types Of Rainbowfish Will School Together

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Like the title says, which ones will form a mixed school? I've heard they're not like most other schooling fish that need 6+ of their exact kind, but that's all I know. Alex Pasquale ? 86 ssinit ?

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I really hate it when people use the term "school" on certain freshwater species that don't really school.

And to answer your question, any species of rainbowfish will "school" together.

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well thank you, I didn't realize they weren't actually schooling fish, I just assumed based on their behavior.
To better ask the question: What types shoal with each other?
So if I really wanted to I could do, 1 Bosemani, 1 turquoise, 1 Iranian red, 1 river rainbow, 1 praecox/neon rainbow and they wouldn't care? Interesting

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
nikm128 said:
Well thank you, I didn't realize they weren't actually schooling fish, I just assumed based on their behavior.
To better ask the question: What types shoal with each other?
So if I really wanted to I could do, 1 Bosemani, 1 turquoise, 1 Iranian red, 1 river rainbow, 1 praecox/neon rainbow and they wouldn't care? Interesting
I believe that different species of rainbowfish will shoal with different species of rainbows, similar to how corydoras will shoal with different species of corys. And I wouldn't want to keep one species of rainbows by them self.

Lynn78too

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just because a fish doesn't school doesn't mean they don't like to be with their own kind. I have some flame tetras, they shoal but they still want to be kept in groups. Technically people don't school (except when we're in school ) but we still prefer to be with our own species. Fish is a whole kingdom and some fish are as similar as we are to giraffes.

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Crispii said:
I believe that different species of rainbowfish will shoal with different species of rainbows, similar to how corydoras will shoal with different species of corys. And I wouldn't want to keep one species of rainbows by them self.
Oh, well I thought cory's all needed to be together in one group of one type. Man, I don't go one day without learning something on here. I wouldn't keep one type alone either, just making sure.
Lynn78too said:
Just because a fish doesn't school doesn't mean they don't like to be with their own kind. I have some flame tetras, they shoal but they still want to be kept in groups. Technically people don't school (except when we're in school ) but we still prefer to be with our own species. Fish is a whole kingdom and some fish are as similar as we are to giraffes.
Absolutely, I would either do something like 3 pairs, or 2 trios at least

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My rainbows all swim together. I have dwarf neons and bosmanI in my 90. Funny I allways thought all Cory’s would get along. Mine do. But I’ve been told many times here how wrong I am.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom