75 Gallon Tank What did you do to get rid of BBA?

Sb092

Recently I have been struggling to rid my tank of black beard algae. I know you are supposed to find the underlying causes of algae, but I have not figured that out yet. I have been trimming leaves and plants when I do water changes. I have also been using apt fix, which does help. But the bba is still a problem. I am curious what others have done when faced with bba?

ruud

I'm no expert on corrective measures, because frankly, I never have (visible) algae in my tanks. So I do know a thing or two on preventative measures.

BBA is supposed to be a though one to get rid of; I have heard stories of people lowering the water level to the point of where BBA is, or they take plants or hardscape out of the tank, and then treat the BBA with liquid carbon and a toothbrush. After some scrubbing they raise the water level or put the scape back in.

In the corrective realm it is al about helping plants to outcompete algae.

MacZ

In the corrective realm it is al about helping plants to outcompete algae.
We stuffed a tank that had a 3D background completely covered in BBA, with waterweeds (Egeria/Elodea sp.), Vallisneria and Frogbit, replaced a defunct light and just let it run: 1 month later all BBA were gone.
It's really about outcompeting that stuff.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Flyfisha
  • Sb092
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Sb092
  • Question
  • Ssnaaiil
  • Algae