What Did I Just Find In My Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Aquaholic3, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Aquaholic3

Aquaholic3 Valued Member Member

I found this weird thing in my betta's quarantine tank. Hopefully somebody can tell me what it is.
    2017-04-18 02.04.40.jpg
    I have no idea how it got im my tank.
    I have never had plants, just boiled rocks and well washed play sand.

The only thing that i have added to the tank is a new betta. There is also this weird translucent blob on the substrate about the size of a pea. 2017-04-18 02.15.23.jpg
    Thank you for any help. I am not sure if i should be worried, either way i find it interesting.

2. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Did you add anything recently? Did you add anything from outside at anytime? It looks either like a shrimp or a nymph of some kind of bug

3. OP
    OP
    Aquaholic3

Nope the tank has been going for months, i have guppies in there but the only thing new is the betta. I added him about 5 days ago.

4. Hayley1986

Hayley1986 Valued Member Member

I once found something like this in my nano tank, the guy at my lfs told me it was a young dragonfly or something like that, sorry I can't exactly remember. Apparently they live in the water while hung and until more developed, it looked a bit like this just more of a green colour.
    He also told me they would eat small fish and to remove it from my tank, please wait for other advice just in case I'm not 100% correct

5. OP
    OP
    Aquaholic3

Yea that could be it, it's really tiny about 1/6 to 1/4 inch long

6. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Looks like a damselfly larva (closely related to dragonflies) to me!

7. S

Skyfire New Member Member

That's a damsel fly nymph. I don't know if they eat small fish but I do know they eat shrimp. I think they're neat so I would probably set up a tank for it, but I'm weird like that. I definitely wouldn't keep it in my main tank on the off chance that they do eat small fish.

8. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

It looks like a dragon fry or damselfly larva to me as well!

9. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

Growing up on a lake I can definitely tell you it's larva from a bug. I would personally remove it asap as there's nothing beneficial it can do for your fish and can even potentially cause harm.

10. OP
    OP
    Aquaholic3

Yeah damselfly looks the same thanks. I hope it gets eaten soon just have no idea how he got into the tank. I haven't seen a dragonfly in years and the tank has a tight lid.

Its not my main tank luckily, it's just the tank i quarantine my small fish like guppies and betta's in. It is pretty cool, I can't seem to catch it he's way to small and quick.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  11. Nanologist

Watch this and it may change your mind about getting it out asap...

I know a Betta is quite a bit larger but that doesn't mean it won't try.

I would use a siphon or turkey baster and suck it out.

12. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I would really try to catch it, use two nets if you have to, or a cup and a net.

13. OP
    OP
    Aquaholic3

That thing looks evil lol much bigger than the one i have.

14. Nanologist

Yours is just a bit young and insects grow extremely fast.

15. OP
    OP
    Aquaholic3

I tried but he's so small i cant even see it

16. Nanologist

It'll be fine for the moment and the Betta may eat it like you're hoping. I'm just saying as soon as you can catch it then remove it. It'll get slower and easier to catch the larger it gets.

17. OP
    OP
    Aquaholic3

I might have to move the guppies and betta to another tank or would that be over reacting?

18. Nanologist

I know if my Betta saw that thing in the tank he'd definitely attack and eat it, so it may just be a matter of time for your Betta to find it.

Yeah, I don't think that's necessary yet, but the larger it get's the higher the chances it'll try to feed on a fish.

I would just check on it daily and try to remove it when possible.

19. OP
    OP
    Aquaholic3

That sounds good, I am still unable to figure out how he got into the tank:s After seeing how my betta eats shrimp, i dont thing the little fella stands a chance.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  20. Nanologist

Insect eggs are pretty resilient and can be dormant and even dried out but hatch once they have the right conditions.

I remember how blown away I was to find out that roaches can survive the radiation from a nuclear explosion to a degree...

Maybe you can even somehow direct your betta's attention to it. I bet once he's aware of it the larva won't have a chance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice