What Did I Get Myself Into

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by RobinIsACattto, Apr 8, 2019.

1. RobinIsACatttoValued MemberMember

Ok, well....

Yesterday I got some super red Ludwigia. I thought it was a mid-tech plant (stupid me) and I'm kinda scared to keep it now. I know they need a lot more than what I have and I don't have the $100s of dollars to spend on better lighting ferts and CO2. This is my first tank... I'm in over my head.

So, is it worth keeping? I just feel it's better to toss it now than feel bad later or something. Idk. I really should have looked into it more...

What I have:

2 wpg (beamswork 20" LED)
    10g
    ThriveC
    No CO2 (could look into DIY but my ph is already out of whack and it would only be for this one plant as I have low-mid tech plants otherwise (hortwort, anubias, crypts))

I just don't know right now. Any advice?

~Robin

2. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Try it out as the 10 isn't very deep and a beamswork is a decent light . I have one on my 20 long that does very well growing plants without co2..

3. JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

Try it! That's certainly better than throwing it away.

4. camsteValued MemberMember

I wouldn't throw it away without trying. Is this the one?  
    I've kept it before in a 16g tank with just the lights that came with the tank and no co2. It didn't get the super bright red color, but it grew just fine. Tropica even labels it as easy.

5. ETNsilverstarWell Known MemberMember

If it's the same as the "dark red" ludwigia, aquatic arts also lists it as being an easy, low-tech plant. Most of the red ones just need higher light to bring out the red, but they do fine in lower light.

6. abarbWell Known MemberMember

7. RobinIsACatttoValued MemberMember

Not quite like those; the leaves aren't red. I'm at school atm so I'll get a pic when I get back or dig one up.
    Essentially, just the stem is red (like, nitrate reading 80ppm kinda red), the leaves are green.

i read they were water column feeders; they didn't have roots when I got them but they do have some white "roots" (I think) on the stem. I do have root tabs, though, so I can do that if need be.

8. abarbWell Known MemberMember

They are root feeders. Which root tabs do you have? Flourish tabs?

9. RobinIsACatttoValued MemberMember

In the pic it's the one behind the betta. Sorry that's the best pic I have atm.

Yeah, whatever one Seachem makes. Should I just plant them even though they don't have roots? How would I hold them down?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2019
  10. abarbWell Known MemberMember

Put the bottom of the stem in the substrate. They are cuttings so don’t have roots yet.
    IMO the flourish tabs aren’t very good, they’re kind of expensive and lack macro nutrients. I recommend nilocg thrive caps because they are $15 for 60 and have micro and macro nutrients.

11. RobinIsACatttoValued MemberMember

Alright, I'll consider it. I mean, I've only used one of the tabs so far (I bought 40; only size they had at that time), and I'm using gravel so I've heard some of the liquid thrive will get down there?

Also, is there any smaller size than 60 tabs? I don't think I'll need that many and I don't want to buy all of em just to realize I got the wrong thing or something (like what happened here...)

12. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

A good way to hold stem plants down is to take a water bottle cap cut an X in the top of it and push your pinky through to make a small opening then push the plant through the small hole and bring it to the bottom of your tank and cover it with substrate. you will never see the cap and it's totally safe

If you do consider throwing them away you can throw them in a bubble envelope with them wrapped in saturated paper towels and a ziploc with my address on the envelope :)

13. abarbWell Known MemberMember

I’m not sure about thrive getting into the gravel. Maybe in the water between the gravel but I don’t know if the roots can use it. I don’t think there’s a smaller size but if you have 40 flourish tabs you should keep using those.

14. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

When I got mine I planted them in the sand. The bottom rotted off and the plant started floating. When that happened I tied the stems to rocks to keep them in place and they are growing fine now.

15. WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

I have ludwigia ovalis in my 10g with a beamswork, no co2, I use flourish root tabs and liquid thrive s for other plants too, and I use excel. It took almost a month for me to think it wasn’t dying so don’t give up on it, now I can’t get it to stop. Lol. The tops at the surface are a nice pink and the bottoms stay very green. I propagate it at a node when it gets too long.

16. Lacey DWell Known MemberMember

As far as I know, it's the RED part that is mid-tech. If you don't mind it being green, you should be fine following the above advice. If you want it deep red though, you need to have high light conditions.

17. RobinIsACatttoValued MemberMember

Ok, that makes more sense. As much as I like the red coloring idk if I have the time to make it work atm. Maybe this summer when I have more time on my hands :)

18. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

As they grow closer to the surface and the lights they will get a bit more red with some ferts. Like others have said preferrably Iron and Potassium

19. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Basically all rooted plants are both root and water column, and don't much prefer one over the other. As the others said, this plant should be pretty easy except for the red part, which is caused by high light :)

20. Yecats75Valued MemberMember

Keep it and see what happens! I have your exact setup on a 30g- same light (slightly bigger to fit my tank size), same ferts, no CO2- I bought a handful of Ludwigia super red on a 1$ per stem sale and it’s done just fine so far!