What did I do wrong?? Glofish dead

Firsttimefishowner

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So..... we've had our fish for a few months, all good. Well our white gravel just is so gross so I decided to switch out the gravel yesterday. Took all fish out, switched gravel and put fish back. Overnight and this am, out of the 24 fish (glo tetras, mollies and plattys) we lost all 6 of our glofish tetras. Did doing this just cause too much stress for them?? I'm just not sure what happened...

All our water tests are good and other fish are fine- is it just a thing with the glofish?? Anyone have any ideas?

Im juat not sure if we should continue with glofish or if they are just a

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry to hear about your fish, glofish are expensive and to have a whole school die on you sucks.
First of all I completely misread glofish as goldfish at first and got worried when you mentioned 24 fish.
Secondly, yes it may have been stressful for them. I'm not sure how hardy glofish are but it may have been too much.
Was the bucket a different temperature than the tank? Did you have a heater or airstone in it? Was it tank water or treated tap water?

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Firsttimefishowner said:
So..... we've had our fish for a few months, all good. Well our white gravel just is so gross so I decided to switch out the gravel yesterday. Took all fish out, switched gravel and put fish back. Overnight and this am, out of the 24 fish (glo tetras, mollies and plattys) we lost all 6 of our glofish tetras. Did doing this just cause too much stress for them?? I'm just not sure what happened...

All our water tests are good and other fish are fine- is it just a thing with the glofish?? Anyone have any ideas?

Im juat not sure if we should continue with glofish or if they are just a
The first thing I thought about was whether the gravel change put your tank into a mini cycle.

What are you using to test and what are the exact parameters for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates?

OP
F

Firsttimefishowner

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ghelfaire said:
Sorry to hear about your fish, glofish are expensive and to have a whole school die on you sucks.
First of all I completely misread glofish as goldfish at first and got worried when you mentioned 24 fish.
Secondly, yes it may have been stressful for them. I'm not sure how hardy glofish are but it may have been too much.
Was the bucket a different temperature than the tank? Did you have a heater or airstone in it? Was it tank water or treated tap water?

Thanks, it was a huge bummer because they were expensive and so pretty!

We just put the fishtank water in a bucket, put the fish in, replaced the gravel and put the fish back in. The water was very stirred up though when fish went back in so i bet i just didn't give it time to filter long enough before putting the fish back in. I just wanted to get them back in the tank asap.

So weird though because ghost shrimps, snails, corries, mollies and platties are all fine. Literally just the glofish.

I have definitely learned a lesson! Being our tank is only 3mths old im sure it is still trying to finish cycling too.

Dunk2 said:
The first thing I thought about was whether the gravel change put your tank into a mini cycle.

What are you using to test and what are the exact parameters for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates?
I bet that's what happened. We didn't test water right after we did the gravel change cause it was so cloudy and gross from all the debris.
I bet i just stirred up too much for the fish to handle.

We tested the water once the fish were already dead to make sure our levels were good, i didn't write them down but i know they were all good from the color chart. We use a master test kit

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you had all those fish in an uncyclled tank, you were bound to lose some sooner or later.
Glofish are expensive, but it hurts to lose anyfish so sorry. They glo fish should be just as hardy or otherwise as there normal version. But if they were kept in cramped conditions in a gimmicky tank that was too small that could make them sickly.
Tetra are more sensitive.
Next time, - dont make big changes like that in a new tank unless there are no fish in it, You can change the gravel in an established tank without removing the fish. you should avoid removing fish from the tank , it is very stressfull, it removes slime coating "fishy immune system" it can tear fins and scales.
Also, you may not want to add more tetra, 24 fish in a 36 gallon is a very large amount. moolies can get to 4_ inches and have a huge bio lode, Are the mollies and platties all one sex? If they are not, you will soon be over run with fry.
so you have 18 fish now? 9 platies and 9 mollies? I suggest you keep more like 9 female platies and 2 female mollies.

OP
F

Firsttimefishowner

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Noroomforshoe said:
If you had all those fish in an uncyclled tank, you were bound to lose some sooner or later.
Glofish are expensive, but it hurts to lose anyfish so sorry. They glo fish should be just as hardy or otherwise as there normal version. But if they were kept in cramped conditions in a gimmicky tank that was too small that could make them sickly.
Tetra are more sensitive.
Next time, - dont make big changes like that in a new tank unless there are no fish in it, You can change the gravel in an established tank without removing the fish. you should avoid removing fish from the tank , it is very stressfull, it removes slime coating "fishy immune system" it can tear fins and scales.
Also, you may not want to add more tetra, 24 fish in a 36 gallon is a very large amount. moolies can get to 4_ inches and have a huge bio lode, Are the mollies and platties all one sex? If they are not, you will soon be over run with fry.
so you have 18 fish now? 9 platies and 9 mollies? I suggest you keep more like 9 female platies and 2 female mollies.
Oh goodness no, not that many mollies and platties lol! We actually have a 46 gal tank and have 3 platies, 7 mollies and 8 cory catfish since we lost the glofish tetras

New Threads