What Creates Water Flow?

1. N

Natalya Well Known Member Member

Sorry about total newbie question! I am reading on the fish I want in my new 38g tank. Pretty much every fish prefers moderate water flow. So... What creates water flow? Is it a filter or a special piece of equipment? If it is a filter, what types of filters let you regulate the flow? Also, unrelated question: I hear there are some types of filters with 2 slots, allowing for a partial change of the media- what brands are those?

2. S

SFFishSticks Valued Member Member

For a 38g tank, all of your water flow will be from a filter with maybe an air stone if you want one.

Some filters allow you to adjust the flow, others don't.

For your tank, an emperor penguin 350 would be an example of an appropriate sized filter with multiple media slots. You could also just use a sponge and some ceramic bio balls in the container. On those filters your biological filtration is supposed to be on the bio wheels, so you could replace both filters at once in theory without disrupting your cycle.

3. jl_1005

jl_1005 Valued Member Member

You can adjust the level of water flow created by the filter. Depending on your fish, an air stone may be useful but is not absolutely essential.

I always find walking around a fish store helpful. You can check out their set ups to get some ideas.

4. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

You can also get powerheads that may give the amount of water current your fish like to swim in.