what crab could it be?

fishaddiction

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I bought a pretty coral that was on a live rock and 2 days later I've notice a crab its hard to tell much of it because it keeps hiding but it has deep red claws and almost a furry back any thoughts?

Last edited:

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you get a picture of it? That would really help.

fishaddiction

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It hides so much I'm the only one in my family that has seen it (I saw it eating) my family things I'm crazy all I've been able to see is 1 large dark red claw and possibly a furry body (it looks that way but its hard to tell. Do they make a knocking sound because I keep thinking I'm hearing that. But I'm positive it isn't a mantis shrimp. Is there any way of catching it. Also will the crab attack fish or invertabria?

fishaddiction

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
crab, I don't think it could be a pistol shrimp he looks (the amount I saw of him) nothing one. Is there a crab that has a really long arm like it had really good reach but a relatively small claw. Could it be a gorilla crab?

AquariaUK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Come to think of it a gorilla crab fits the description - .

It depends what species of crab it is but I've heard of a crab which hid in the tank for a year suddenly eat all the shrimp and fish overnight. Look at night, and if you can't see it or fish go missing then try gently taking rocks down to see where he's hiding. Pictures will help.

fishaddiction

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just found his hide out I'm going to put the rock into a bucket with saltwater how will I get him to leave the rock though (it fills up most of he bucket).

I will post a picture once I catch the pest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quinn_Lamb98

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i remember someone on a different thread mentioned that spraying pests with cold ro water can sometimes get them to leave the hideout... i may be wrong though.

AquariaUK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i remember someone on a different thread mentioned that spraying pests with cold ro water can sometimes get them to leave the hideout... i may be wrong though.
Good idea, that might work. I've also heeard of dangling bait in front of the hideout entrances until you can catch them eating.

fishaddiction

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I will try the cold water trick if I hadn't payed so much for the live rock that he's living in I would just bleach him. I'm starting to think its a gorilla crab because it has fur. I'm keeping him in a bucket but he won't come out of the rock so I will probably have to do the cold water trick. How much does a gorilla crab go for?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are so many crabs it's hard to say without a photo.

See if the following helps ID him http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchcrabs.html

What sort of coral is it? There are some crabs that live in symbiosis with acro corals (the crab protects the coral), and there are also other commensal crabs that are not particularly harmful. Most of the 'hairy' crabs are considered no-good for a reef though.

fishaddiction

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It just lives in a hollow piece of live rock. It is hairy but I wish it made itself visible then I can put the live rock back into my tank.

fishaddiction

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have finally got him. its a gorilla crab and it will probably get the flush of shame but for right now he's all by himself in bucket with a handful of sand. How big do gorilla crabs get?

AquariaUK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Great that you caught him!!! They are NOT reef safe and will eat fish, including large sleepy ones. What animals and fish do you have/plan to get ?

edit: Gorilla crabs can be confused with others so could we get a picture please?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom