What could I be doing wrong? His fin rot came back:(

ricktavious
Ricktavious' fin rot came back tonight. Left for dinner, came back a few hours later, and all the clear-ish part that was regrowing is gone (but at least, where it is coming back red is still there).

Last time with the fin rot, he was medicated with triple sulfa (three rounds) and fed the medicated pellets with garlic guard for close to a month. Is this next round of fin rot something that "just happened" or did I do something wrong?

COBettaCouple
finrot can be stubborn and cronic, there's also a chance he has a fungal fintot now.. check for how to tell what kind of finrot it is.

ricktavious
It's definitely the bacterial version.

Also, something I will definitely need advice on......I will be gone from Saturday morning until Monday night. I can leave him here in the warm, untreated waters and not be able to feed him or give vitamins, etc....

Or, I can take him with me in a 1.5 gallon vase, he'll get cooler than he should be, not have much room, but I would be able to feed him and give him vitamins and triple sulfa. Which would be better for him

armadillo
I've read a lot now that some fish became miraculously better when the owner was gone a couple of days without treatment. I don't understand it, but it really does happen a lot. It's happened to me too. So personally, I"d either get a fish sitter or I'd not treat for a couple of days. Only my opinion, though.

Either way, I definitely think the move would upset him.

Phloxface
Moving him would cause stress and stress leads to more finrot. The colder water would also be bad for him. He needs steady warm temps to heal. I'd do a nice big water change and give him his vitamins and he should be okay. Two days without food won't hurt him. Just feed before you leave and as soon as you get back.

ricktavious
Won't be able to get a fish sitter I could trust, and won't be moving him either. Will just treat him right before I leave and as soon as I get back.

Also, when it "appears" to be gone like it had for awhile, is it a good idea to still feed the anti-bacterial food every now and then just in case, or is that something that should be avoided?

armadillo
Tough question about medicated food. Some people use it as prevention, but then don't you run the risk of habituating the bacteria to it?

That's what I would do too. I'd medicate at the last moment, and leave him be.

COBettaCouple
yea, I think that would just build up resistance to antibiotics. after you're back, starting triple sulfa would be what i'd try with him along with the vitachem. hopefully this time around it will knock it out completely.

Phloxface
I continued to feed the medicated food for an additional 2 weeks after stopping the Triple sulfa. I am convinced that is what kept the rot from coming back.

ricktavious
Well I'll be....today he is looking a lot better already, plus what is growing back has more color than what he lost. He's been very active today and has been a blast to watch. Since he's by my computer now, we get to spend more time together ;D

COBettaCouple
it's great to have them by the computer.. 2 of our splendens sit on the sides of the screens and they've really grown in personality since being moved here.. now we have to find a desk that will let them all be "computer fishies".

ricktavious
Tonight he was due for a water change, so did that tonight......since I will be gone from tomorrow until Monday, should I do another small water change? Do a larger water change?

How much should I medicate?

Any suggestions before tomorrow morning will be appreciated ;D

COBettaCouple
Tonight he was due for a water change, so did that tonight......since I will be gone from tomorrow until Monday, should I do another small water change? Do a larger water change?

How much should I medicate?

Any suggestions before tomorrow morning will be appreciated ;D

hope this is in time. i'd do another small water change and hold off on meds until you get back.

ricktavious
Hey, ended up giving a dose of triple sulfa and did a small water change. Now let's just hope he's still doing better when I get back tomorrow

armadillo
Gawd, you're so lucky you can get the stuff. Best of luck, Ricktavious. I'll be thinking of you

ricktavious
Ricktavious is doing great! Got home yesterday and all that he has left is one split in his fins and a couple of small holes in the.....uh.....long pair of dangly fins (not the proper term I assume). Now just hoping it doesn't come back in the next couple of weeks anyways ;D

COBettaCouple
sounds good, hopefully he'll be all over it soon and regrowing fins.

armadillo
Wow, that's really cool, Ross. Am so pleased for you. Let's hope that this is it for the finrot now.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
COBettaCouple
Replies
Views
Jen86
Replies
Views
BornThisWayBettas
Top Bottom