What could be wrong with my new my dojo loaches

BadisBadis

So I had the LFS order me some dojo loaches. They were supposed to be 8" and I paid $20 a piece for them....you know...expecting them to be huge.
Well they came in today and are hardly 3" and 2 are very emaciated. Uggg. Yeah I know. I shouldn't have taken them. But its not the stores fault the fish supplier did a job, they still paid more for these so I'm sure they are disappointed too.
Anyway, I'm a sucker for taking things...I couldn't leave them there so w/e it's only money I took them home hoping to give them good care.
Now, could they have parasites or is it more likely they are just malnourished? I fed them enriched brine shrimp right away.
1 is a decent weight but the other two are super skinny.

Attachments

• 20210629_141037.jpg
    20210629_141037.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210629_140946.jpg
    20210629_140946.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210629_141235.jpg
    20210629_141235.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 26

CHJ

Wow, you can see spine through their sides. Ungood.
I'd feed them lots of live/frozen/dried for a few days. Flake might even do it. They are dojos and should pig out.
If they will not eat. then I'd worry.

8" would be some meaty loaches.

Also if this is a one time thing it is fine. If this happens repeatedly at the LFS you will have to talk to them. You do not want to enable supporting a bad source by accepting fish that are in rough shape.

Upvote 0

BadisBadis

Wow, you can see spine through their sides. Ungood.
I'd feed them lots of live/frozen/dried for a few days. Flake might even do it. They are dojos and should pig out.
If they will not eat. then I'd worry.

8" would be some meaty loaches.

Also if this is a one time thing it is fine. If this happens repeatedly at the LFS you will have to talk to them. You do not want to enable supporting a bad source by accepting fish that are in rough shape.
Thanks for the reply, they did with gusting even the skinnier one. I'm researching loach skinny disease and man, it's vast.
I mean 8" would have been awesome!! Hence the insane amount of money for them but uggh very disappointed and I used to to work in a fish store, I would have not sold these as is imo. But again I'm a sucker. I've ordered saltwater fish from them that came in great and a bushynose. I have yet to order anything else, but normally they don't have loaches so I had to order. I'm going to try to treat these guys for parasites. There's only 1 small telescope goldfish in the tank so It'll be easy to treat.
Thanks for the reply, they did with gusting even the skinnier one. I'm researching loach skinny disease and man, it's vast.
I mean 8" would have been awesome!! Hence the insane amount of money for them but uggh very disappointed and I used to to work in a fish store, I would have not sold these as is imo. But again I'm a sucker. I've ordered saltwater fish from them that came in great and a bushynose. I have yet to order anything else, but normally they don't have loaches so I had to order. I'm going to try to treat these guys for parasites. There's only 1 small telescope goldfish in the tank so It'll be easy to treat.
*eat with gusto. don't know why it had such a hard time typing that lol

Upvote 0

LoachWhisperer

Maybe a wasting disease. But my best call is skinny disease.

Upvote 0

BadisBadis

Great now one of the skinny ones is having swim bladder issues. Hopefully I'll be able to get my money back if he dies, this is awful.:( idk why I'm such a whimp when speaking up about stuff like this. They'll never make it even if I get the right treatment for them cause I think they are too far gone. I still will treat the other one that appears healthy but man

Attachments

• 20210629_200915.jpg
    20210629_200915.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

Pfrozen

Pretty unacceptable.. if that store is even 2% reputable they will refund your money. If they don't then I would look elsewhere in the future. Sorry for your luck :(

Upvote 0

BadisBadis

Pretty unacceptable.. if that store is even 2% reputable they will refund your money. If they don't then I would look elsewhere in the future. Sorry for your luck :(
Yeah I will call them tomorrow. Pretty upset. Esp given how expensive they were for not even the right size. The next lfs is over an hour away.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Neurogirl1515
Replies
Views
ButtercuptheOranda
  • Question
Replies
Views
Gameynerd23