What could be wrong? My fish is not eating.

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by anz, Dec 15, 2012.

1. a

anz Valued Member Member

I have a red zebra cichlid fish that, as far as I can tell, has not eaten in about a month! API master kit results have been pretty normal. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 20-60 nitrates. My fish is not acting sick, no clamped fins, not swimming at the bottom of the tank, not gasping for air, not being bullied. It is swimming around like normal. The only thing that is different is that it "acts" like its eating. It will spit the food out or will just " pretend" to eat. when it's feeding time, it will be all in the mix with the rest of the fish, but won't actually take any food in its mouth. It will also swim right past a piece of food without even trying to eat it.

I have tried feeding different kinds of food. NLS pellets, flakes, peas, algae tablets, zucchini. I've tried soaking food in garlic, still won't eat. The only time I've seen it poop was the other day. I added a picture that i took of its poo. Seems normal for a fish that has not eaten, but I could be wrong.

Any ideas about what could be wrong with my fish? What should I do? Thanks in advance. image.jpg

2. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

It may be eating at different times like scouring the tank later for food it has to be eating something fish can't live that long without eating something maybe algae.

3. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I'm not very experienced with cichlids but he definitely looks like his belly is sunken. How long have you had him? I know he needs alot of vegetable matter but maybe try tempting him to eat with some meaty foods like bloodworms or brine shrimp just to get him eating.

If he was mine I may entertain the idea of treating with prazi pro jic. Hopefully some cichlid gurus will be by with their opinions too.

4. p

plecodragon Well Known Member Member

It could have some kind of internal parasite. I don't know much about cichlids but its poop doesn't look very good.
    Try some treat like foods like blood worms, glass worms. Maybe it will eat them.

5. OP
    OP
    a

anz Valued Member Member

I might be scouring the bottom, but my tank has no algae for it to feed on!

I tried brine shrimp too (I forgot to put that on the list). Didn't touch it:(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2012
  6. Matt B

Fish can go quite along time w/o eating, some for months. Imo, that poop looks normal for a fish that hasn't eaten, its clear.

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Looks like it hasn't eaten for 4-6 weeks, or has been malnourished for a few months. I agree, a fish that hasn't eaten is not going to have normal poop.

8. OP
    OP
    a

anz Valued Member Member

What is prazi pro jic?

9. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

its medicine, here is a link...

10. Matt B

Like jojo said, its anti parasite medication jic=just in case.

11. OP
    OP
    a

anz Valued Member Member

I don't have a hospital tank. Can I dose the whole tank? Will it harm the other fish?

12. Matt B

Yes you can, no it won't. :)

13. OP
    OP
    a

anz Valued Member Member

Thanks!

14. Matt B

You're very welcome. :)

15. OP
    OP
    a

anz Valued Member Member

16. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yup, give it a shot

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice