What Could be Killing Snails

Cody

What species is your problem related to?(e.g. Red Cherry Shrimp)

Water Parameters

Please give as many as possible
PH7.6
GH Not Tested
KH Not Tested
Nitrites0
Nitrates 10-20
Ammonia0
Copper unknown
TDS unknown
Temperature 79

Your Aquarium

Size? 10
How long has this tank been set up? 9 months
Are there any other inhabitants? Gold Ram, Juvi GBR, 6 rasboras
What is your water change schedule and%? Weekly 50%
What do you feed and how often? Varying flake foods and Pellets for an amano
Do you add any chemicals? (water conditioner, fertiliser,meds etc) Easy Green, Prime or API water conditioner.
Filtration? Whisper 20 and whisper 10
Substrate? Gravel

Introduction to the Tank (if applicable)
This tank was setup earlier this year and August 8th a did a substrate swap to an inert substrate and converted to a planted tanked. About a week later I had a Nerite Snail die. This snail had been in there 8 months and was in the tank during and after the swap. I assumed this might of been a casualty of the swap. I never saw a mini cycle that registered ammonia or Nitrites and all other inhabitants were fine and have remained that way as well. I considered it a fluke and removed a Nerite from my main tank and that one died with in 24 hours. Then I started to worry and verified with my LFS owner that the substrate was inert and tried to find another cause. I have since done multiple water changes wondering if something from the gravel/rinsing process causes this. I added a snail last night as a test and it appears dead this afternoon.

I feel horrible to keep killing snails but I also feel like I am blind on this because everything I have added to the tank, fertilizer and conditioners. Are I invert safe and have not affected the Amano or other fish. I also have another tank with multiple snails that has not been affected. So I do not believe it’s something coming from the tap. I suppose i Should do a copper test to make sure but am I far to assume this should have wiped the shrimp out too? Also with the inert substrate I don’t know where this would be coming from either.

How long has the invert been in the tank?
8 months
How did you acclimate them?

most of the info is in the template. Please let me know if you have any ideas on what I could look or test for to see what may be causing snails to die in a short amount of time.

Convoluted77

I would suspect that your shrimp would be effected as well if it was copper or ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.Have you used any kind of meds or planaria treatments in the tank anytime recently?

Upvote 0

Cody

I would suspect that your shrimp would be effected as well if it was copper or ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.Have you used any kind of meds or planaria treatments in the tank anytime recently?
No treatments or meds. That’s is why this is so strange is there really hasn’t been any new added. And the other inhabitants of the tank or my other tank have not been affected.

Upvote 0

Convoluted77

No treatments or meds. That’s is why this is so strange is there really hasn’t been any new added. And the other inhabitants of the tank or my other tank have not been affected.
Hmm.Wish I could help.I have had similar experiences with snails before and really couldnt find an answer.For some reason my snails do fine as long as I keep them in them in the tank that i first put them in.if I start moving them around to differant tanks they often never come out of thier shell again and die.i keep my tanks with identical parameters and have lots of shrimps that do just fine so I'm not really sure what's happening.

Upvote 0

BlackOsprey

:I sometimes, it's just garbage luck with bad stock. Some nerites I've owned have lived for years and are still chugging along happily. Some of them don't last a month in the same tank. Snail health is a dice roll.

Upvote 0

Cody

Well it’s all as strange as I thought then. Could just be a series of bad luck. I’ll just hold off on potentially sacrificing any snails for a while. Fortunately the fish have not been affected at this point.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Blacksheep1
Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
Replies
Views
bettasXD
Replies