What could be happening?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I lost one of my female guppies yesterday. She had been sickly for a while and gave up yesterday. Fine. It was expected, and she gave me some fry, so she has done well. She did not have anything, she just started swimming funny one day, and a couple of weeks later she had gone. She had been in a Q tank until a week ago having some Melafix.

This morning, one of my neons is lying on the bottom, only thing moving is the gills. Another neon is hardly swimming and flopping about when he does. Quarantined both. Then as I was rushing out the door to work, I noticed my 2 silver tips hiding, they had not come out for food, and were hiding at the back amongst my plants. Then I noticed that they seemed to be panting slightly more than usual and had mysterious red marks on their sides. Both of them. They are not open sores, they don't look like anything except a red coloured line. This has happened overnight. My danios and cories are absolutely fine.

As I was in a rush, I could test only the ammonia and this was 0 as expected. Nothing else has changed for a while (I added a new filter to the tank this week to cycle alongside the existing filter which has been fully cycled for a long time now so it cannot be this as the existing filter will be removing any ammonia as my test results have found.) and I have no idea what could have happened overnight that is different to the normal.

I'm off to update my aquarium info to remove the guppy and double check everything else, so this is up to date. It's the 60l tank.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No cleaning sprays or anything used around the tank? And nothing on your hands?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just throwing a few ideas out there... I know you're very diligent Tiger

The new filter (or it's media) didn't have any contaminents that could have entered the water?
Didn't forget water conditioner on a pwc?
Could it have just been "god's time"?

Sorry for the losses tiger

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No - thanks guys, I'm thinking of everything too.

Meenu - no, nothing different, nothing used near them.

Ryan - the new filter was rinsed and cleaned thoroughly before being put in tank (I am what you could call paranoid lol), I changed the water on Sat as usual, but I used Tetra Aquasafe instead of Prime to use it up. I did add slightly more than the dosage as I trust nothing except Prime these days! However, a slight conditioner overdose (by 5 ml) is fine, and I have been using it for a while now. I did also think it may just be their time, but for 4 to go funny all at once...

I really think it has something to do with my remaining guppy. She has had an ulcer on her head since just after I got her. She has been through med after med after med and it is still there. Every tank I've had her in has had problems nothing to do with the water quality. I had a batch of guppy fry dying mysteriously before, they were all lost, but kept with her and their mother. Water was fine, temp fine etc. She also had temper fits at times. There was once I had to isolate her as she was chasing another fish violently. Since then she has been an angel, but now 4 tetras are suddenly going bad. I'm isolating her tonight and seeing if there's anything I can do to save my little silver tips. She can live alone from now on.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
naawww, poor guppy

I knew I was tossing some obvious questions (like I said, I know you're very diligent).

The last thoughts I have is of some kind of bacterial ulcer or virus that the now isolated guppy has spread ???

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks again Ryan, I know sometimes the basics are missed, and I've asked in threads before, sure that the OP has thought of it, but throwing it out there anyway, there's no harm in asking.

Well that's exactly the prob. She's had Melafix treatment twice, and anti-internal bacteria treatment too. Nothing gets fully rid of it. It's like an orange lump on the side of her head and fades with said treatments, but always comes back, and I am understandably dubious about putting her through too much medication if simply isolating her would be kindest all round.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The [ducks for cover] salt bath [ouch not the rotten vegetables! ] has been suggested elsewhere on some fish medicine sites to help sooth ulcers.

A lot also suggest that many of these viruses, bacterial ulcers can not be treated

I found this: http://www.tropicalfishcentre.co.uk/Diseases1.htm , number 7 sounds like your symptoms....

But if isolating her is going to work, and she still has quality of life, then that might be the best solution

Again, please don't throw the rotten vegetables at me, it's hard to get tomato stains out of white....

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lol, I'll manage, I'm open to any suggestions, believe me. She is very active, thinks she is a danio and actually schools with them and they have accepted her as one of their own (Yes, I have WEIRD fish... ID crisis anyone??).

Checked out the link (thanks v much), it seems I have been medicating her for exactly what the link suggests. This would make that my first successful diagnosis lol, yay!

I'll try to get a pic. The prob is that she never stays still long enough. I'll have to post that one in the disease section though methinks! Seeing as we're OT & onto guppies haha! It does make sense then if she is passing it on...virus????

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads