What corys do well in unheated tanks?

LucyoftheSea

I have a 29g tank with 5 wcmm. The outside air fluctuates from about 67-73 degrees, but occasionally it can get as low as 65 and as high as 75. Are there any corys that would work well in this tank? Also I have ecocomplete substrate and am on planning on topping it with Caleb sea super natural sand. I am also planning on getting about 3-6 more wcmm.

jake37

pepper cory (paleatus);
Corydoras barbatus
Corydoras trilineatus
maybe
panda cory if you can find some healthy ones but the cooler range might be punishing for them - they tend to prefer 72-75.

Upvote 0

LucyoftheSea

I’m now planning on getting a heater just to set at 70 degrees. Does this broaden the amount of Corys that would work in my tank?

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

There are a lot Lucy.
C.aeneus, C.paleatus, C.panda, C.venezuelanus, etc etc.....

Stay away from C.sterbai. Those need warmer water

Upvote 0

LucyoftheSea

Ok thank you! I am planning on getting either 6 pandas or 6 albino aeneus. Do you think that one of species is better suited or would it just be up to which I prefer?

Upvote 0

jake37

I think neither is optimal for the cooler end of the spectrum and in that regard both are equally good or equally bad.

Ok thank you! I am planning on getting either 6 pandas or 6 albino aeneus. Do you think that one of species is better suited or would it just be up to which I prefer?

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

None are better suited.
Pandas stay smaller so you could get a bigger shoal. Only be careful to buy healthy ones !!!

Upvote 0

LucyoftheSea

I think neither is optimal for the cooler end of the spectrum and in that regard both are equally good or equally bad.

so would it be better to get a different kind of Cory, or should I skip out on corys all together?

Upvote 0

jake37

I think cory paleatus would be a better option (pepper cory) they are commonly available and not too large and more suitable for cooler temps.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

I think cory paleatus would be a better option (pepper cory) they are commonly available and not too large and more suitable for cooler temps.
Females can get huge Jake.

Panda and C.aeneus are perfect.
Keeping all my Corys unheated on this temp (besides sterbai and concolor)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
29 Gallon Tank Compatibility with wcmm
Replies
Views
LucyoftheSea
  • Question
Replies
Views
naterock15
  • Question