what cory handles warmer temps best? Question

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by midthought, Mar 20, 2010.

1. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Hello all. I was planning on a semi-planted 29g tank with about 6 corys in it. I like the look of the pandas, but think the dwarf ones are cute too. And then I read in another thread that the pandas like to be at 70-72 degrees though, and I was hoping to have this tank at around 78 or 80 to accommodate the other fish in the tank. So...is 78-80 too high for any corys? If there are any that will handle that temp (or warmer than 72), what kind are they?

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

80 is not extraordinarily warm, so most should be fine as long as you acclimate them. There are a couple that do prefer cooler water though, you are right.

3. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I keep my tanks at 80 degrees and I have Common Cory's and Cory Julli's. They're all doing very well.
    Link to Cory Julli:

Ken

4. OP
    OP
    midthought

I'm relieved that 80 isn't going to kill some kinds, as I soooo wanted to keep some cory cats. Pandas were my first choice but I think I am going to try going with pygmy corys if the LFS has them...if not, I will look at commons and jullis. Thank you!

5. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNAValued MemberMember

Most cories believe it or not prefer the water 72 -74. Many are cooler water fish The schrelomastics paleateus ehrharditai are all cool water cories below 70 is great for them. The cories will tolerate the higher temps but not recomended burns them out faster. I keep all my cories 130+ tanks around 70-72 degrees.

If you need a warm water cory I suggest Sterbai Regular or albino the pandas also will work at this temp but tend to be a little delicate in my experience. I have been breeding cories for many years and currently keep 38 type and the cousins in 130+ tanks and have spawned 50 of them as of today.

6. OP
    OP
    midthought

Yeah, I'm quickly giving up on the idea of pandas (but they're so cute! :(). Thank you for your advice though. Would you also disapprove of pygmys?

7. REDKAHUNA

I disaprove of none really just there lives are shorted some by the heat. Plenty of guppy guys platy guys etc. breed some kind of cory so they can grow the babies out with there reg. fry. The cories grow twice as fast when pushed this way just like the livebearers. A common trick to get fish to adulthood faster. I dont do this they grow out at the same temp as everybody else. Forgot this cories can live 20 years if properly cared for. I have 3 of them 15 years old and many in the 7-10 year range.

8. OP
    OP
    midthought

Oh okay, I knew about the metabolism but was more afraid that they would be uncomfortable, unhappy and die in discomfort or to stress. Wow, I've never realized how long they live!! That's quite awesome (though I feel sheepish for not realizing it). You'd think you'd see more "giving these guys up to a good home, can't take care of them anymore" kind of posts...hm. I guess more often I see "they've been dying one by one" kind of stories, sadly...

9. REDKAHUNA

Wild caught especially. I can give you an age on the cories I raise.

10. acea091489Valued MemberMember

agree

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice