What Cory catfish to order for my tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by akle4, Jul 4, 2016.

1. akle4Valued MemberMember

So I am currently looking online for the Pygmy Cory Catfish, and the ones that I am going to order are
    Bronze Cories that are tanked raised they get about 1 to 1.5" is this ok? I also am going to order the rummy nosed tetras too. I have a heater in the tank at 78 for the betta when I get it. Is that ok?

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

How big is your tank? Bronze corys get a good 3" so need space.
    Pygmy corys although small also need space to swim as they're quite active, they also spend a lot of their time in the mid levels so something to think about if you're wanting strictly bottom dwellers.

3. OP
    OP
    a

akle4Valued MemberMember

I actually food some pepperd cories that are even smaller about 1 to 1.2" so I am going to order those.
    My tank is a 20 gallon long so I am getting the smaller ones

4. Coradee

Peppered corys if they're paleatus can also get almost 3" unless you mean habrosus aka salt & pepper which the females can get around 1.5", males smaller

5. OP
    OP
    a

akle4Valued MemberMember

They are dwarf ones, called peppered plaeatus cory cats or maybe I am reading it wrong where do you suggest I buy them at, and what kind for my 20 gallon long?

6. Coradee

If they're paleatus then they aren't a dwarf variety

C.paleatus

C.habrosus.

7. OP
    OP
    a

akle4Valued MemberMember

So u suggest I buy the hadrosaurs Pygmy cories?

8. Coradee

what temperature is your tank at? paleatus like it cool

9. OP
    OP
    a

akle4Valued MemberMember

I put in a heater for 78 today if that is too warm please tell me the kind of pygmys I can get for my tank

10. Coradee

Yes 78 is too warm for paleatus, if you drop it a couple of degrees that would be ok for habrosus

11. OP
    OP
    a

akle4Valued MemberMember

I want to keep tropical fish in my 20 gallon long so I don't think I will be able to drop it. I am going to have rummy nose tetras a betta 2 guppies and 5 ghost shrimp in there too. Do you suggest anything else? I might not get the betta but if I don't what else do u suggest I get

12. Coradee

Sterbai would be better as they like warmer temps, they get around 2.5"
    If you're having a Betta, have a back up plan in case he decides he doesn't like tankmates.

13. OP
    OP
    a

akle4Valued MemberMember

I have a 3 gallon tank set up just incase. But I would probably take him back if he does not like tank mates. And do you mean sterba catfish? And how many would fit in a 20 gallon

14. Esoree

EsoreeNew MemberMember

If you haven't gotten your corries yet, I highly recommend corydoras pygmaeus for your 20 gallon long. You would be able to have about 6 of them in a 20 gallon long.

15. OP
    OP
    a

akle4Valued MemberMember

I have not got them yet. I thought the albino where pygmys

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice