What Cory catfish to order for my tank

1. a

akle4 Valued Member Member

So I am currently looking online for the Pygmy Cory Catfish, and the ones that I am going to order are
    Bronze Cories that are tanked raised they get about 1 to 1.5" is this ok? I also am going to order the rummy nosed tetras too. I have a heater in the tank at 78 for the betta when I get it. Is that ok?

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

How big is your tank? Bronze corys get a good 3" so need space.
    Pygmy corys although small also need space to swim as they're quite active, they also spend a lot of their time in the mid levels so something to think about if you're wanting strictly bottom dwellers.

3. OP
    OP
    a

I actually food some pepperd cories that are even smaller about 1 to 1.2" so I am going to order those.
    My tank is a 20 gallon long so I am getting the smaller ones

4. Coradee

Peppered corys if they're paleatus can also get almost 3" unless you mean habrosus aka salt & pepper which the females can get around 1.5", males smaller

5. OP
    OP
    a

They are dwarf ones, called peppered plaeatus cory cats or maybe I am reading it wrong where do you suggest I buy them at, and what kind for my 20 gallon long?

6. Coradee

7. OP
    OP
    a

So u suggest I buy the hadrosaurs Pygmy cories?

8. Coradee

what temperature is your tank at? paleatus like it cool

9. OP
    OP
    a

I put in a heater for 78 today if that is too warm please tell me the kind of pygmys I can get for my tank

10. Coradee

Yes 78 is too warm for paleatus, if you drop it a couple of degrees that would be ok for habrosus

11. OP
    OP
    a

I want to keep tropical fish in my 20 gallon long so I don't think I will be able to drop it. I am going to have rummy nose tetras a betta 2 guppies and 5 ghost shrimp in there too. Do you suggest anything else? I might not get the betta but if I don't what else do u suggest I get

12. Coradee

Sterbai would be better as they like warmer temps, they get around 2.5"
    If you're having a Betta, have a back up plan in case he decides he doesn't like tankmates.

13. OP
    OP
    a

I have a 3 gallon tank set up just incase. But I would probably take him back if he does not like tank mates. And do you mean sterba catfish? And how many would fit in a 20 gallon

14. Esoree

Esoree New Member Member

If you haven't gotten your corries yet, I highly recommend corydoras pygmaeus for your 20 gallon long. You would be able to have about 6 of them in a 20 gallon long.

15. OP
    OP
    a

I have not got them yet. I thought the albino where pygmys