What Cory Cat would be best with our Bettas?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We have 3 male bettas (Super Mario, Aslan and Sora), each in his own 10-gallon tank and we'd like to add cory cats to them because the Corys we have in a 10-gallon tank for Platys are a lot of fun to watch and generally bettas seem to get along with corys.

Anyway, I was wondering if there's a particular cory cat, like an albino or julii, that is best with bettas or is it pretty much all the same? Right now, we're leaning towards Albinos.

Thanks.

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I do not believe there is any difference (unless they are larger)

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would go for Cories that aren't too huge in size (so as not to put too much bio load on the tank), but also ones that aren't too timid (unless you have a tank with a ton of hiding places and an especially laid back Betta) It doesn't really matter though.  Albinos should be ok although they're getting up there in size. 

I apologise if I'm telling you things you already know, but make sure you get 3 of whatever kind of cory you decide on, though I wouldn't get more than that or you'll probably overstock the tank.

Have fun with the Cories, they're such cuties

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is just a suggestion as I only have the two and they are different types, but I love my Sterba's Cory. It is so beautiful and so cute and fun to watch. It is not a bit intimidated by the betta where the Peppered Cory is afraid of him and the other two Peppered Cories I had were literally scared to death by one of the bettas. They are a little hard to find about here, I got him from eBay but if you live in a bigger area I am guessing you may not have as much trouble.

But any cories you fall in love with will have to be watched as they are nervous little fish and if you have an ornery betta he can frighten them badly so be prepared with a backup plan if someone needs to be removed.

Rose

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Might I suggest the pygmy cory for your tanks. They are smaller, so you could have more of them in your tanks!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pygmies are super cute. I have some right now, and I have found that a group of 3 is just not enough for these shy little guys (they just hide all the time). It is recommended that they be kept in groups of at least 6. (And I'd better explain so I don't look like a hypocrite...I only have 3 at the moment, because I started out with 6 but lost 3 to a bacterial infection, and I am planning to get more as soon as I can find some.)
Also, these guys seem especially delicate so don't try them with an aggressive Betta. The Betta I have mine with is very calm and non-territorial, but I believe that a while back Rose had a Betta who actually killed some Pygmies she had. So, guess what I'm saying is use your judgement and decide what Cories to get based on each Betta's personality.

Oh btw, if you don't like Corydoras pygmaeus, some other "dwarf" cories you could look up are Corydoras hastatus and Corydoras habrosus.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Only my "Pygmies" ended up being baby Peppered Cories just not very grown up. The third one that did live is huge now and has Nate scared stupid.

Rose
;D

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh right, don't know how I forgot about that. *smacks forehead*
That was pretty funny though...we were all going crazy over the Pygmies on steroids... ;D

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the advice, since I posted the question, we checked those recommended corys out and would like to get both Panda & Peppered, but our little Betta fish have other plans for the time being. We got 4 Julii Corys to 'test the waters' with our Bettas before ordering fish (which we haven't done yet so we have that newbie thing going on there) - all we have is a Petco so locally there are Juliis (on the rare occasion some are in stock) and Albinos available. Only our peach Betta, Sora, won't stuff himself like a pig on the cory's food. The others LOVE the Cory's food, even if we try hiding it at night - in the morning a fat, happy Betta greets us & begs for more. So for now, Sora gets the 4 Julii's to himself and we've gotten attached to the little guys.. they're fun to watch and Sora seems to miss them if we take them out. I do hope 2 will be happy together, because that's all our Platy tank had room for and we didn't want to overload it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom