What Cories To Keep With Apistos? 40 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Ravynn, Apr 6, 2019.

1. RavynnWell Known MemberMember

I'm looking to house a pair of Apisto Caca. in my 40 breeder with a bristlenose, cories, and some type of schooling fish.

What would be the best species to keep with the Apistos? There's some lovely habrosus cories right now at my lps, it would be neat if I could house them together.

Let me know your opinions!

2. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't try to combine those.
    Have no experiences with Cacas and C.habrosus but have read multiple threads about Cacas kill C.panda.

I think Cacas and Cories aren't a good combination though maybe other members have experiences with other (larger) species kept together.

3. RavynnWell Known MemberMember

I appreciate your reply! It's hard to decide what to do as far as tank mates with the cichlids go.. I keep going back and forth. I definitely don't want any fish to get hurt

4. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

If they would be A.borelli there wouldn't be a problem. Cacas are known to be more agressive.

5. yukondogWell Known MemberMember

I house cory's with all my apisto's, Caca's included until breeding time, then I remove all cory's and any other bottom dwelling fish. But all my cory's are just peppered and green so dont know about the spices you want.

6. RavynnWell Known MemberMember

I'm sure i'd have no trouble getting borelli. My lps currently has panduro, macmasteri and trifasciata as well but I don't know too much about those.

Do you remove them at breeding time due to aggression or to save the fry?

7. yukondogWell Known MemberMember

Aggression, I breed Borellii's and DD is wright about them, they are pretty mellow, my Hongsloi on the other hand the female is a fireball, the male is not even safe with her when she has fry, I must say with the Cacas I'm just about to breed them for the first time, but have corys in with them now for about five months now with no problems but once they breed and I think she may have laid this morning I will remove them and just keep a few dithers in with them. Good luck there cool little fish and I must say they are my favorite, and each one is different, and one thing i have noticed is even from brood to brood there temperament can change, so once the fry arrive keep a close eye on them and be ready to remove some or all including the male.