What Coral

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Reef13G YT, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Reef13G YT

Reef13G YT Valued Member Member

I'm getting my first coral tomorrow. I wanted to have enough time to research so which one should I get.

Requirements
    1. Low Lighting
    2. Soft Coral
    3. cheap $10-30
    4. Fast Growing
    5. No Palytoxin [just don't feel comfortable with it.]
    6. easy feeding

do you have any suggestions

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

How big is the tank and what fish do you have? Also, how long has the tank been running+parameters?

And are you doing an online order or going local, which would limit what you can get based on availability. Although, we can spurt ideas and hope you fine one

As for the palytoxins, there really is nothing to worry about, but it is understandable that they are worrisome; there have been thousands of keepers whom have had the zoanthids without any ill effect. Just make sure not to have any open sores/cuts when working in the tank with them and be wary that they are there and it does exist; you can wear gloves and avoid fragging if you don't have the experience. So, if by any chance that it does get in your bloodstream, you can catch it early rather than let it brew. Anywho, its the hydriods that make palytoxins look harmless, not to scare but inform :); you really are okay as long as you are careful

You do have to be aware, tho, that all softies are toxic, but in different degrees, so (unless I'm behind in the coral world and some new discovery has been made) it'll be nearly impossible to suggest a completely non-toxic coral, but less toxic ones will be available :)

3. OP
    OP
    Reef13G YT

I'll go for a low toxicity. My tank has been running for about 3 months.
    Nitrates are good.
    pH is good
    20% every week water change
    I'll most likely order from live aquaria
    though I might get my coral locally

4. KinsKicks

How big is the tank? I don't want to suggest something that'll take everything over lol :p

5. OP
    OP
    Reef13G YT

a 15g tank with

2 chromis
    1 cardinal
    1 lawn mower

I know I'm a little overstocked.
    Lawn Mower is fed very good

6. KinsKicks

How about a Xenia Coral? They are quite hardy once they acclimate; but you do have to get past the acclimation stage (where light acclimation will play a strong role) ;).

Or an organ pipe coral. The are a moderate coral. The only issue is that when they are fragged incorrectly, it leads to an unhealthy specimen, so it'll be worth looking into to make sure it's either the original or a healthy frag.

Mushrooms and leathers are also very easy and don't require too much dedication

(and make sure to look for a healthy coral anyhow)

Oh, and a side not, run a good name-brand carbon in your filter; it'll help remove any toxins if you should accidentally distub them to release it

7. OP
    OP
    Reef13G YT

I've heard a lot of good on Xenia. How do I properly acclimate them, and since they take a while to be fragged I'll have enough time to get proper tools and equipment. Tomorrow I'll call the coral store and see if they have Xenia. If they don't I'll order from live aquaria.
    What do they eat. Do they eat Cyclops eeze?

One thing I don't get is lighting

Does it mean my tank light. My tank light is on 1 hour a day.

I've got some real good carbon filters

8. KinsKicks

Yes, lighting means your tank, it should be fairly strong for them, but a basic light like MH, T5, PC (although these are pricey, so you can skip these unless you find a good deal), or VHO will suffice.
    You can also try 36w T8 bulbs which are NO lights, and those should be fine since your tank is smaller and it has closer access to the lights.
    And you will need to keep your tank lights on for a few hours of the day, like 8-10 hours to reflect nature; 1hr won't suffice for their growth.

As for acclimation, a good drip acclimation for about 2 hours or so should be fine; you can do drop-n-plop, but only if the shipping conditions were very bad and it needs the clean water.

Xenias are one of those things that'll either thrive or die; I find that a really matured tank helps out in their survival.

9. OP
    OP
    Reef13G YT

My tank is pretty stable, I don't do water changes very often, and my tank is very happy, not changingnyour water "X a month" will help your coral, says coralfish12g, don't know if it's true. Do I need to do water changes more often.
    I'll keep my tank lights on longer.
    Also,
    for acclimation can I float it some and put some water in it, and do it several times.
    Also which light is better.
    My normal light or my neon light. I think my fish prefer the normal light. Also can I get pom pom Xenia? And how much is Xenia?

10. KinsKicks

As for feeding, they don't really have a mouth, so feeding physically isn't necessary as they naturally feed on zooxanthellaes; the fish should provide provide a source of the dissolved organics, and if your sand bed is mature enough, that can be stirred to help get some extra organics into the column.

You can also provide micro zooplankton can be added if you so desire; and it wouldn't necessarily hurt if you do.

You weekly WC now are fine (im not sure who coralfish12g is...sorry!). Corals are more sensitive, so I always would go for a drip acclimation if he's coming from afar. But if its more local, you can get away by adding a small amount of water to the bag (while floating) until the salinity matches; but definitely acclimate for at least an hour or so this way; you want to give them the time.

A 36w T8 bulbs NO (normal operant fluorescents; they're like a strong room light) lights should suffice. However, if you find the polyps stretching and expanding (aka, stretching towards to reach the light more), this usually means they the lighting isn't adequate and they'll need an upgrade.

And a pom pom xenia is fine and grow quite quickly; most xenias do. And they range from about $15-30 depending on the size and where you get them from :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2017
  11. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

@KinsKicks i cant believe you dont know who coral fish 12g is !!!!!

12. OP
    OP
    Reef13G YT

Ok I'll get the sand snail that burrows in the sand, that should get some sand movement

13. KinsKicks

Oh no, am I going to get in trouble? haha. I don't know a lot of people in general :p (and coralfish12g, if you read this, I'm really sorry!!! You seem to be a SW guru and I'm an in-the-dark dork :p)

14. OP
    OP
    Reef13G YT

ok so I get a bucket and put the coral in the bucket, rule right. How long do I acclimate him for. Also you should watch coralfish12g, he's the best salt water you tuber. Ok so I'll upgrade the light if I see him stretching. And I think $15-30 is an awesome price.

Also I know they are pretty easy to frag. +My pet store is in desperate need of Xenia

15. KinsKicks

Okie :) Make sure to get a reef safe/ tropical one

16. OP
    OP
    Reef13G YT

okey

17. KinsKicks

Yes, the coral goes in the bucket with enough of the bag water to cover; and you a small length of tube, make a couple of loose knots in order to get a fairly-slow drip. Wait until the water volume is 2-2.5x the original volume, then drain to cover the coral again, and continue to drip again until its about double or triple again, and check the parameters every so often to make sure the salinity/level matches before putting it in your tank. This will take about 2 hours or so, which isn't too bad (haha, I've seen drip acclimations that take 8+ hours :p)

And if they survive the shipping and acclimation (which is undoubtedly tha hardest part), they grow FAST; you should make some nice side cash if you can frag and sell

Ohhhh, he's a youtuber; ok, I feel better now :p. I usually don't hear about anybody unless they are recommended . I'll go check him out later :)

Oh, and by "small length of tube" I mean a small diameter, you want the actual length to be about double the length it would take to reach the tank to the floor/whatever your surface will be

18. OP
    OP
    Reef13G YT

Ok wait I'm a little scared now. So once the Xenia starts shipping I'll look on more things for acclimation. I'll get a salinity tester as well

also big question.
    How do I acclimate it to the light.
    I don't have salinity tester yet

19. KinsKicks

the light acclimation isnt scary; just keep things dim/dark as you acclimate. Too often people acclimate them with their lights on and its too sudden for them (imagine, if you've been locked in a dark bag for 2-3 days and suddenly someone throw this really bright light at you! Same thing!)

That's all that it. So, you can acclimate in a dim place, and slowly move the bucket into something with a little more light (like regular room light) as you drip acclimate. And when you release it into the tank, keep the lights off; you can run actinides/moonlights if you wish. Lol, nothing crazy :)

20. OP
    OP
    Reef13G YT

ok so is there any chance it can die in shipping, also do I need anti-parasites

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice