What Coral Frag Is This?

Discussion in 'Coral Propagation - Coral Frags' started by Clipsterzzz, Apr 23, 2017.

1. ClipsterzzzValued MemberMember

I am wondering what frag this is.

Another picture

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2017
  2. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

Dunken coral?

3. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

I'm guessing either a Duncan or an Acan coral, although it'll be easier to tell once it spreads a bit.

4. LJC6780

LJC6780Well Known MemberMember

Look up blastosoma. The top part looks very much like my little frags that have broken off of the colony. They can grow a long skeleton under the polyp. Does t really spread out and get long tentacles or does it just sort of stay looking like a little flower?

Don't think it's an acan at all. They usually don't have tall skeletons like that but flat or rounded mounds.

Here's my blasto. A better pic would really help. Maybe take one with whites on?
    d9044d69d5db14c057bec418cbbfe96b.jpg

5. OP
    OP
    C

ClipsterzzzValued MemberMember

Sorry my replies got messed up. Here is a better picture with the whites on. My frag has grown another head.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2017
  6. LJC6780

I think it MIGHT be a blasto. And I meant BlastoMUSSA! Ugh! I always want to call it the wrong thing. Oops!

Here's one I fragged off the other day. It's a single head.
    79f44f397ce91efb795e9196f3b08cd6.jpg904152ed35260f2fd210af7eb13ffb3c.jpg

See if you can get a clear pic when it's opened up ...

7. OP
    OP
    C

@LJC6780 Here is another picture. And also I found this on my glass

Should i be worried?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2017
  8. LJC6780

So that frag pic totally looks like t has an aiptasia on it. Peppermint shrimp often have a taste for them. If you don't get rid of it soon it will multiply. As far as the star, it's an asternia. Some say they eat corals, some say they only eat dead tissue ... some say they are fine and some say to watch them. I have some in my tank and I just keep an eye on them when I see them near corals. I haven't noticed them doing anything wrong yet so I leave them since they do eat bio film and such.

I still can't tell what that coral is though. Can you get a clearer pic if you don't zoom in so far?

Looking at this pic better, that is an aiptasia and a tube worm.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2017
  9. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

The thing on the glass looks like an asterina star, they can reproduce quite prolifically & usually considered pests

10. OP
    OP
    C

How should I get rid of the tube worm and aiptasia?

11. LJC6780

A peppermint shrimp worked for my aiptasia but they don't all have a taste for it. Mine was gone within a day though. Some people use chemicals or lemon juice injected into them but I'd rather feed the shrimp.

The tube worm can likely just be scraped off. They are Filter feeders and don't always hurt anything but can sometimes irritate a coral with their string.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice