What Colors Are Best For A Reef Tank?

Taylorbudd
I currently have a 55 gallon reef tank.
It has a 2x 32w bulb 4 ft t8 shop light with a daylight bulb and a blue actinic bulb and I have an 8foot 14w led strip diy light I made from the led rolls they sell at home depot. Comes with a remote and can be set to white, blue, magenta, yellow, red and orange, can also adjust brightness. They sell extensions which I'm going to get to switch out the t8s.
I have the led set to blue on 24/7
And the dual t8 is on a 12/12 cycle.

I am going to swap out the t8 fixture on tuesday for the extensions.

What colors are best for coral growth and what color can be left on 24/7

Coradee
Giving this a bump up for you

thesoulpatch
Nart

Rojer Ramjet
1. 14 watts of anything aren't enough for a 55 reef of any kind. 3x14 ain't enough. 30x14, that's about right, considering the incredibly low PAR of those LED strips.

2. You don't want ANY light, regardless of color or spectrum, in a reef at night; perfect darkness is best. All photosynthetics need a period of rest and respiration.

3. Every Coral is different; some like 450-550nm, some with more red; there is no one light for everything.

4. You get what you pay for with reef lighting. I'd highly recommend TWO OceanRevive T247s; one for each side of the tank. I run them exclusively on my setups - 2 on a 45, 2 on my 75, 2 on my 90, 4 on my 360.

Taylorbudd
Ahh ok. Thanks for the reply and bump.

Well ive been running the leds for 10 days now and my corals seem to be doing ok but my candy cane seems to be suffering.
I may switch back to the actinic t8 and the daylight t8.
The blue leds make them nice to look at tho.
Should I run 2 actinic t8s?
I only have corals on one side of my 55.
I may make their shelf sit closer to the light.

I also got a timor wrasse to eat some zoa eating nudis I found. He seems cool.
Eating right away.

Anyway ill switch the bulbs over. That led fixture your talking about is a bit much for me. I found this..

SecretiveFish
Actinics are great for showing off a coral's fluorescence, but they actually are not that beneficial for coral growth/maintenance. I would only run one at most, and definitely do no run your system without at least one 10K T8 bulb!

Taylorbudd
So I looked up a phillips daylight bulb spec and its 6500k.
I'm guna go to lowes and grab a 10k.

What is the t8 equivalent to that 165w led light?

Taylorbudd
10k ill have to order. I think ill just order the led light. Itll make the top of the tank look nicer too. Its all wires and crazy right now

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
lanlesnee
Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
  • Poll
Replies
Views
ermpickle
Replies