What color and what gender are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have three platies and I was wondering what gender and coloration they are.

The first one is SunShine I think it is a male and Sunset in color.

The second one is Fire I think it is a male a Red in color.

The last one is Blacky I think also it is a male and Tuxedo in color.

Sunshine
18.jpg

Fire
19.jpg

Blacky
20.jpg

I'm I right?

P.S. Sorry for the bad image quality. My camera is not the best at taking fish pictures. I will try to get some better ones later.

EDIT: Oh my....they're HUGE!!! I am so sorry!

Last edited:

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
1.looks like a sunburst male
2.looks like a red wag (can't see analfin to determine sex)
3.painted looks like a male.
TIP: if the analfin is pointed back it is a male if it just hangs down it is a female.

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks! The more I look at Fire I know he is a male. I am still have troubles figuring out SunShine and Blacky. When they stay still there analfin comes down more the Fires.

Last edited:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the first looks like a male, the second cant tell but it doesn't look red to me, my red wags are very dark red (like blood red) with black fins.

Last edited by a moderator:

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the first two definitely look like males to me, the third I cannot really tell, the stomach kinda looks more like a female to me, a better shot of its analfin could help make sure

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fire is more Red then on the picture, is was just the flash. Red and Sunshine always are swimming together is it so cute. Blacky when I first got her, she was super skinny (like this big _ when you look at it for the front) and would sit at the bottom and wouldn't move. Now she is fat and is the most active platy I got. Why was she like that before and then become fat and active in one day after I got her?

Last edited:

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
21.jpg

Here is a picture of Sunshine and Blacky analfin.

Last edited:

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay! Do female analfins look like upside down triangles? And male analfins look like logs? Thanks all the help so far!

Last edited:

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yep, males have a gonopodium which will look like a little tube coming off the analfin. females have no gono and so their analfins look just like regular triangular fins

Last edited:

Betta Whisperer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
1.male
2.male
3. By the looks of the belly shape I would have to say female.

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Does she look pregnant? I don't really want fry. I thought she was a he when I bought her. Thanks again for all the answers!

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
she does look a little thick like shes carrying some fry, if she isnt pregnant now she certainly will be soon with two other males in the tank. If you dont want fry Im sure the other fish in the tank will be happy to oblige, provided you dont have large amounts of java moss or anacharis the other fish should eat the fry pretty quickly, thus is life and its good nutrition for the other fish . Also you generally want to keep 2 females for every male you have, if you notice blacky getting harassed constantly by the two males you might want to take that into consideration. If the males dont chase her too much she should be ok though

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have never seen the males chase her. Fire and Sunshine always hang out to together and act like Blacky it not even there. I know I should have 1 male for every 2-3 females. I didn't want any fry, so I thought I got all males. Little did I know I had a female!

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
if you just let nature take its course most of the fry will just turn into food and then you'll have no fry.. personally i love platies so id raise any fry that came around

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I love platies too!;D I just don't have a tank for them, so I can't keep them. :'( But I wouldn't want to see my fish eat the poor little fry. :'(

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sadly.....SunShine died when I was on a short trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom