What Class Is My Endler? Question

Discussion in 'Endlers Livebearers' started by emmysjj, Jun 19, 2018.

1. emmysjj

emmysjjWell Known MemberMember

Just curious, he was PetSmart find, and he wouldn’t hold still :p
    He’s much more vibrant in reality. IMG_0357.JPG
    @endlercollector

2. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Looks like a tiger endler, so a guppy endler cross, which would be a class K. Tiger endlers are very nice, see if you can get a female one of those.

3. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Ooh, I wish. I don’t have a grow out tank. I also have 3 more males. Maybe in the future.
    Is K good? I’m unfamiliar with the rating system :dead:

4. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I really only know classifications of hybrids sorry, but he is stunning. Class K is just endler hybrids, N is pure endler, and P is unknown background. I don't know the specific standards for tiger endlers, but the nearly full tail and strong coloration is pretty great. Definitely not the quality I'd expect from PetSmart, that's a nice one.

5. emeraldking

emeraldkingWell Known MemberMember

This is a cobra (also known as snakeskin) endler and yes... K-class...
    But despite of the fact that it's a hybrid endler, this male does have more guppy influence than endler influence when I look at the phenotype.

6. emeraldking

Overhere a video of cobra endlers of mine...

7. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Hmm, he doesn’t have those markings like in the video... Are you sure? :)

8. penguin02

penguin02Well Known MemberMember

Here is a blurry pic of my endler, Melon :) I got him at Petsmart as well. Occasionally they'll have some really good-looking fish and I have no choice but to snatch them

Attached Files:

9. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

He’s gorgeous!

10. Fishgirl71

Fishgirl71Valued MemberMember

Hi Emmy,
    Before I read Emerald King's post, I thought yours was a cobra while Penguin 02 appears to have a tiger endler. I am still learning all the hybrids, and it can be very confusing. Even some of the n-class endlers look very similar in color and pattern such as the Orchid, Peacock, and Double red bar endlers.

EmeraldKing knows his stuff! He has never steered me wrong and is one of the most knowledgeable endler resources I have come across. He has many published articles on a variety of endler and guppy subjects. I feel so fortunate to have found the Fishlore site and this dicussion board. There are some amazing people on here! :)

11. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

12. emeraldking

Hi, sorry for the belated reply...
    My remark has been based on the tail shape. When it comes to the markings that can be variable. The black bar however is typical for this strain. For a regular black bar has been used to create the cobra strain to start with. But nowadays, not all male cobra endlers have a clear black bar (but most do have it). But that has got to do with the fact that the guppy influence is getting stronger with certain males.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice