What cichlid is easier to breed? And which on is more aggressive. Question 

fraserm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was wondering about which cichlids are the easiest to breed and which one is the least aggressive? I have a 31 gal. and wanted to get a breeding pair. I was thinking keyholes or blue Ram.

Thanks

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think convicts are the easiest to breed. All you have to do is get a pair and add water They are definitely not the least aggressive, though. Least aggressive would probably be rams.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Convicts are the easiest, as are Firemouths.. but finding a pair is a little more difficult than convicts. If you want aggressive parents, I suggest Convicts. If you want something semi aggressive, go with Firemouths. If you want something Docile, Rams.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depending on what else you have in your tank, I think kribs fall somewhere in the middle of the attitude meter. I have mine in with kuhlis and rummy nose tetras and only when the fry are free swimming do the parents chase the other fish away. Other than that, they peacefully coexist. Oh, and they spawn like crazy. As jaysee said, just add water.....

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
And welcome to Fishlore!

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fraserm said:
I was wondering about which cichlids are the easiest to breed and which one is the least aggressive? I have a 31 gal. and wanted to get a breeding pair. I was thinking keyholes or blue Ram.

Thanks

Out of the two you listed the rams would be the easiest to breed. The are a bit tougher to keep in terms of water quality than the keyholes, but in my experience they pair up easier than keyholes and also earlier so I would say they are easier to breed.

As far as least aggressive I would say either or. They are both peaceful enough to go into a tank with a number of other fish, but like most cichlids the have some aggression during spawning but neither is really over the top.

If I had to pick one I would say the keyholes. The main reason is less people keep them, and the main reason for this I believe is when they are young and you find them in a LFS the ram looks better than the keyhole so most people buy them. If you take the time to grow out some keyholes though they are a great looking fish once they get some size to them.

Brian

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads