What centrepiece fish can I add to my tank?

1. lexicon Initiate Member

I recently set up my tank and currently have 8 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish in there. I've never had rainbows before but I absolutely love them and they're settling in well.

I was going to get some Homey Gouramis at some point, which I may still do, as centrepiece fish but all these fish are relatively small.

I wondered what other options I could have for really colourful fish to go with the Neons.

I don't really want to get any other rainbows but I'd ideally like something that I could have a few of which are bigger.

At the moment the tank looks quite empty so I would prefer to have more fish to flesh it out but would prefer to have some slightly larger ones.

My tank is 125l and hopefully peaceful and will have some loaches in the bottom.

I really want to get it right before going out and buying honeys.

2. Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome.
    Your tank converts to 33 US gallons. The rainbow will get about 3 inches in size and if you get loaches, you may want just one center piece fish-a beautiful Gourami might be idea! :)

3. lexicon Initiate Member

Yes I think the Honey Gourami are prob the best bet esp if I can get a red one. I think I could handle a few in there though, the tank is v empty at the mo.

4. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Honey and sunset gouramis are very delicate fish and not for beginners. They demand perfect soft water and will not adapt to a higher KH.

Please tell us what your pH is and your KH if possible, so that we can come up with other choices for you.

5. lexicon Initiate Member

Thanks very much.

Don't know the exact KH but think it's about 240ppm whichever it's definitely hard water. The Ph is about 7.8.

All I have in there at the mo are 8 Dwarf Neon Rainbows. I was going to get some Dwarf Chain Loaches for the bottom but didn't realise they were so expensive so I may rethink that.

I would like to get several feature fish, don't really want one or two as I would like there to be something to look at ideally.

6. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Since your water is so hard, why don't you go with a livebearer? Platies are so unappreciated even so they come in an incredible variety of colors and patterns that are the result of intense work on the part breeders. You could look at Koi or Sunburst platies, for example. A male would make a nice centerpiece fish. Stay away from females if you wish to avoid dealing with fry ;)

I would not do a three spot gourami even though it could handle the pH as it would get rather large for the number of fish you all ready have in there, plus they can be aggressive.

7. lexicon Initiate Member

I do like Platies but I have several in my other tank along with other livebearers, guppies and tetras so would prefer something a bit different. I think that's why I was looking at gouramis as never had them before.

8. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

There really aren't a lot of choices for centerpiece fish when it comes to smaller tanks with very hard water. The only other thing I can think of for you to do would be to gradually add RO water until you get to a 50% balance with your treated tap water. This would give you a better chance at keeping a less aggressive type of gourami.