29 Gallon Tank What center fish should I put in my 29 gal?

SpottedKit329

I'm sorry I haven't posted in a few months. My Male Neon gourami sadly passed away,
He was swimming normally, then fell back down on his side. I think it was his swim bladder,
But sadly we had to flush him down the toilet because I couldn't bear to kill him myself in the humane ways I looked at. I couldn't really take care of whatever was wrong with him because it was 12 AM and he would probably die anyway.
So I'm wondering if we should add a fish or two, The fish we have are; 3 albino Cory cats, 3 spotted Corys 2 kuhli loaches, 2 female and 3 male guppies.
So should I get a 'centerpiece' fish? Like another gourami or keep it a Guppie tank?
Photos of most of them

Attachments

• IMG_1279.JPG
    IMG_1279.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1327.JPG
    IMG_1327.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1330.JPG
    IMG_1330.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1387.JPG
    IMG_1387.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1394.JPG
    IMG_1394.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1399.JPG
    IMG_1399.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 12

IzabelB

I would keep it as a guppy tank if I were you, they’re likely going to breed.
Also next time you dispose of a fish please kill it humanely and bury it instead of flushing it down the toilet. Flushing fish is bad for the wildlife if parasites or diseases are spread, it’s bad for the septic tanks, not to mention extremely cruel for the fish to die like that.

Upvote 0

veggieshark

In general, adding new fish before figuring out what went wrong and fix it is a bad move. (If not bad for fish, it will hurt your wallet.)

Agree with the above about disposing fish. Our toilets are connected to rivers and lakes. Every live animal or plant released that way has potential to hurt the environment by either introducing diseases/parasites or becoming an invasive species.

Having said all that, it is difficult to recommend a centerpiece fish due to a combination of tank size, temperature needs, current stock and difficulty level of candidate fish. Cories limit the temperature (can't go for really warm water fish; in fact conflict with gouramis), guppies rule out the species that will either take them as rivals or fin-nip them. You have quite a few bottom dwellers (and kuhlis need more company), so that limits the species that stick to the bottom (most small cichlids).

Upvote 0

SpottedKit329

Also next time you dispose of a fish please kill it humanely and bury it instead of flushing it down the toilet. Flushing fish is bad for the wildlife if parasites or diseases are spread, it’s bad for the septic tanks, not to mention extremely cruel for the fish to die like that.
Yeah I will do that, thanks for the suggestion!

Upvote 0

barbiespoodle

I'm not going to berate you about your method as far as your fish. You did what you thought should be done at the time, been there, done that. We'll leave it at that with one small piece of advice. You have one thing I didn't have in most of my over 50 years of keeping animals, the internet. Use that when you are in doubt about what to do. Even though I've had tanks for over 50 years, I'm still learning and it is the best source of info I've had through all these years.

Now back to the subject of your post.

A 29 gallon gives you lots of options as far as a center piece fish. Where it is hard for us to suggest a fish is that we all have our own personal preference as far as fish. Now if you like gourami's, then for sure go take that path. In my case, I like gourami's but not enough to take up tank space to keep them. See my point?

Now with me, I like having fish that fill the top, middle and bottom of my tanks.

I do have guppies in my 55 gallon community and I like them or else I wouldn't be keeping them, they are beautiful fish, but mine tend to stay at the top of the tank. I do have a rescue angelfish that is a nice contrast to them, and he stays in the middle. And he has never accepted another angelfish in his kingdom, seems to be happy being the only angelfish. And he does not bother my guppies, corys or molly's other than feeding on some of the fry (some always make it) or cory eggs.

If it weren't for him and the trio of silver dollars, I think that I would much rather prefer a nice group of middle of the tank schooling fish as my center swimmers instead of a center piece fish. I recently discovered white cloud mountain minnows and have a large school of them in the 20 long cull shrimp tank. They tend to be middle of the tank swimmers, are far prettier than what you see in the lfs once grown and comfortable in their tank (they call them poor mans neons because they are cheap, even sold as feeders, but still colorful), very active and peaceful enough that the shrimp population has grown in leaps and bounds so would be no problem with your guppies.

In short (well too late for that, lol). You have to sit back, watch your tank and decide which direction you want to go. Once you decide, then do your research. Go to the lfs, check out what is available, go home, research the fish that caught your fancy, decide if they will work or fit your idea for the tank. I've learned this lesson the hard way. Granted I've had success's with impulse buys, my 3 shrimp tanks being an example, but I also have a lot of times I wish I had researched first.

Upvote 0

SpottedKit329

Also they already bred, in fact I counted 30+!
Whenever I feed them I say "MOM THERES SO MANY BABIES!!!" Haha, I would post a picture but our fish tank glass is COVERED in algae so you can't see anything
Also they already bred, in fact I counted 30+!
Whenever I feed them I say "MOM THERES SO MANY BABIES!!!" Haha, I would post a picture but our fish tank glass is COVERED in algae so you can't see anything
Also
I'm not going to berate you about your method as far as your fish. You did what you thought should be done at the time, been there, done that. We'll leave it at that with one small piece of advice. You have one thing I didn't have in most of my over 50 years of keeping animals, the internet. Use that when you are in doubt about what to do. Even though I've had tanks for over 50 years, I'm still learning and it is the best source of info I've had through all these years.

Now back to the subject of your post.

A 29 gallon gives you lots of options as far as a center piece fish. Where it is hard for us to suggest a fish is that we all have our own personal preference as far as fish. Now if you like gourami's, then for sure go take that path. In my case, I like gourami's but not enough to take up tank space to keep them. See my point?

Now with me, I like having fish that fill the top, middle and bottom of my tanks.

I do have guppies in my 55 gallon community and I like them or else I wouldn't be keeping them, they are beautiful fish, but mine tend to stay at the top of the tank. I do have a rescue angelfish that is a nice contrast to them, and he stays in the middle. And he has never accepted another angelfish in his kingdom, seems to be happy being the only angelfish. And he does not bother my guppies, corys or molly's other than feeding on some of the fry (some always make it) or cory eggs.

If it weren't for him and the trio of silver dollars, I think that I would much rather prefer a nice group of middle of the tank schooling fish as my center swimmers instead of a center piece fish. I recently discovered white cloud mountain minnows and have a large school of them in the 20 long cull shrimp tank. They tend to be middle of the tank swimmers, are far prettier than what you see in the lfs once grown and comfortable in their tank (they call them poor mans neons because they are cheap, even sold as feeders, but still colorful), very active and peaceful enough that the shrimp population has grown in leaps and bounds so would be no problem with your guppies.

In short (well too late for that, lol). You have to sit back, watch your tank and decide which direction you want to go. Once you decide, then do your research. Go to the lfs, check out what is available, go home, research the fish that caught your fancy, decide if they will work or fit your idea for the tank. I've learned this lesson the hard way. Granted I've had success's with impulse buys, my 3 shrimp tanks being an example, but I also have a lot of times I wish I had researched first.
Thanks for the info, I will go to petco some time soon.

Upvote 0

Deberber

I would keep it a guppy tank as well and focus on working on some hardscape so that your kuhli loaches can have natural hiding places. If you do like gouromis a lot, a nice dwarf one would be nice.

Upvote 0

SpottedKit329

I would keep it a guppy tank as well and focus on working on some hardscape so that your kuhli loaches can have natural hiding places. If you do like gouromis a lot, a nice dwarf one would be nice.
Yeah, it's currently a artificial tank but I will try to buy a new tank (Maybe another 29 Gal) and make it natural like my Betta fishes tank

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Xerces
  • Question
40 Gallon Tank What to try next?
Replies
Views
Zeeth29
  • Question