What causes this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not sure what the plant is, i'll try and find out, but the base is rotting out. The leaves and stems look great. It's just the base. It's brown and stringy/pulpy looking, and it's releasing the stems every so often. Three stems with the leafs have been released so far, three are left and one is almost let go. What can cause this? And how do i stop it? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436710125.907047.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436710149.172515.jpg

OP
MatthewM

MatthewM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Here is one of mine with the rhizome super glued. Same goes for Java ferns (right next to it in the pic)
View attachment 172859
So that is why it is falling apart? Does it all need to be above? Or just the bulge where the plant is. I can move it above. How much roots should be under? My java ferns are tied to driftwoodImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436711984.641477.jpg

Just pulled it up, the bottom doesn't look like its been having a good time....i'll see how it does, but i may need to replace it and do it right.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricV

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah anubias can't be planted like that or the rhizome rots. You can tie them or glue them to things but I like to use plant anchors like so

Start with a standard metal plant anchor

image.jpg

Bend it into a hook shape

image.jpg

And wrap the hook over the rhizome leaving the long piece straight

image.jpg
image.jpg

Now you can stick the anchor wherever you want the anubias to attach (along rocks, wood, etc). Leave it alone for a few weeks and the plant will attach itself to whatever is around it and you can pull the anchor off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom