What causes this...

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by MatthewM, Jul 12, 2015.

1. MatthewM

MatthewM Valued Member Member

Not sure what the plant is, i'll try and find out, but the base is rotting out. The leaves and stems look great. It's just the base. It's brown and stringy/pulpy looking, and it's releasing the stems every so often. Three stems with the leafs have been released so far, three are left and one is almost let go. What can cause this? And how do i stop it? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436710125.907047.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436710149.172515.jpg

2. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

It looks like an anubias and they're not meant to be planted into the substrate. Their rhizomes need to stay above the sand :) I like to super glue gel mine to rocks. Makes cleaning around them easier too.

3. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Here is one of mine with the rhizome super glued. Same goes for Java ferns (right next to it in the pic)
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436711024.202769.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

MatthewM Valued Member Member

So that is why it is falling apart? Does it all need to be above? Or just the bulge where the plant is. I can move it above. How much roots should be under? My java ferns are tied to driftwood ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436711984.641477.jpg

Just pulled it up, the bottom doesn't look like its been having a good time....i'll see how it does, but i may need to replace it and do it right.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
  5. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah anubias can't be planted like that or the rhizome rots. You can tie them or glue them to things but I like to use plant anchors like so

Start with a standard metal plant anchor

image.jpg

Bend it into a hook shape

image.jpg

And wrap the hook over the rhizome leaving the long piece straight

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Now you can stick the anchor wherever you want the anubias to attach (along rocks, wood, etc). Leave it alone for a few weeks and the plant will attach itself to whatever is around it and you can pull the anchor off.

6. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Good Idea. Thanks for sharing. Alison

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice