What causes stress stripes? Part 2

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by kinezumi89, Dec 6, 2012.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Hello all,

Awhile ago I posted a thread asking for ideas as to why my betta, Boris, was occasionally showing stress stripes. I eventually determined that he could see his flare-y friend, Vlad, through the divider, and as Boris is a mellow kind of guy, was stressed from it and nipping his fins, too. I put an opaque divider in, and his fins had almost completely recovered.

Then they started disappearing again. This time I thought I traced it to a "clip" of sorts I made to hold the new divider in place. (I cut a plastic folder in half, and to keep it from falling over at the top, I took a rectangle of spare folder plastic and made two slits. By putting the outside two prongs on one side and the inside prong on the other, it holds the divider in place.) As it was a plastic rectangle, it had sharp edges protruding (that I should have thought to round over in the first place :;smack). I rounded them over, and his fins appear to be growing back, though it's only been a week or so.

Today I'm sitting here eating my sandwich, and Boris is showing stress stripes. He's swimming at the corner closest to my desk. Do you think that stress stripes also appear when bettas are excited? Is it possible he's saying hello, or that he wants food? There is only a tiny sliver of space above the divider where he can see over, but he was on the far side of the tank (the wall next to me) and Vlad wasn't visible through that slit anyway.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

Anyone? Maybe? Boris would love some help, he's feeling a little bashful about his inadequate finnage :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
  2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

I had a female that would get stressed over the least little thing.

Something new sitting next to her tank. A loud noise.
    If you looked at her wrong.

Picky picky betta.

I wonder if he can detect that there is another male close by through the water?

3. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Well that's good to know that it might not be anything significant. :) Hmm I wonder if bettas release pheromones or something. Over winter break I plan to make a divider out of frosted acrylic, so less water would pass between the sides, so hopefully he wouldn't be able to detect him as well, if that's the problem. Thank you for your input :)

It is strange though that their fins seem so fragile. Vlad's fins have slits in them now too (though Boris' problem is much more significant). All smooth stones and live plants, so I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to fix it.

4. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

A dose of Nova Aqua Plus will help reduce stress for a quick fix. Of course trying to get to the root of the issues is always best.

Best wishes for your fish.

Ken

5. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

6. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

I was told that Indian almond leaves helps with stress on the Betta's. My tank has a few leaves ( makes the water turn a nice yellowish color too :) )
    You could try that?

Junne

7. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

He has a few of those in his filter :) Though the water didn't turn yellow at all. I wonder if this means I need more? There's two leaves in his filter and one in Vlad's (on the other side of the divider).

8. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

I put one piece about the size of a deck of cards floating in the tank - by about a day, the water has a nice tint to it. I plan on changing out the leaf after the next water change ( I've done 3 water changes since I got my Betta the day after Thanksgiving )
    The water is a little lighter each time so I know next water change I will put in a new one.

9. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Hmm they've definitely been in there a little while. I'll put new ones in when I change the water later today. :)

10. kb9plc

kb9plcWell Known MemberMember

Just a random comment. Aren't one of yours a rosetail? I don't remember which betta is which. :D

My Monet is a rosetail.... and I can tell you that every time I turn around he has a bit of a slit in it somewhere. Sometimes even in his 'dumbo' ears! I've heard that rosetails are really prone to fin rippage. It's like the extra folding on the rosetails are magnets to ripping. I've triple checked over my tank for anything sharp, and the only thing left that could possibly be doing it is a couple small piece of driftwood (that he loves hiding under). But whenever I see it I do toss in some KFP and it seems to help.

No comments on the stress stripes thou. Hopefully you find the culpret.
    Is there anything in there that could be creating a reflection? Maybe he is somehow seeing himself, thining it's another fish, and getting stressed out? You said he's a lover not a fighter.... so perhaps something as simple as that would cause him to stress vs just flare.
    Maybe he didn't like your sandwich :D Just kidding.

11. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Vlad is the rosetail :) His tail has been looking worse as of late, too. :;dk I put a bunch of new IAL in so hopefully that will help. I also lowered the water lever more so there isn't a sliver where they can see each other. It looks kinda weird with a good inch above the water line visible, but this is only until I can make a better divider over winter break.

No wood in this tank, though I do want to get some of those geodes form that store near you over break :)

12. kb9plc

I'm tempted to take the wood out of mine and see if it helps with the occasional tail slit. But it has anubias tied to it, and I think Monet would be a very angry betta if I was forced to move his anubias (aka real hammocks). It's right where he likes it LOL.

Yay! Fishy road trip for geodes! LOL! I warn you to keep any plastic variety of payment at home before walking into that store. It's kinda hit or miss with him.... but when it hits, omg I could spend a tun in there. LOL

Odd thought: You said Boris was swimming at the corner closest to your desk. So perhaps something he can view from the other side of the tank wigged him out? What if you took a dark colored folder or something and taped it to that side of the tank? (i assume it would be a different side from the internal divider) Just to see if the stress stripes stay away permenantly for a while? It's a shot in the dark, but maybe?

13. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I put some new IAL in last night, and you can see a difference this morning :) I don't know how I'll be able to tell once I finally put the background on haha.

Obviously I can't get in his fishy brain, but I'm not sure what he would see. There's nothing behind me (his point of view) that moves; all he could really see was me eating my sandwich :p Hopefully keeping the water pristine and lots of IAL will help. Too bad I'm running out...

14. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Mordin goes nuts when I'm eating and he isn't it could be something as simple he was jealous you had food and he didn't you know what piggy fish bettas are ;)

15. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

LOL I never thought of that...my cat certainly begs for food, but I never thought that Boris knew I was eating and wanted me to feed him too :p (He got some bloodworms the other day and gobbled them up. :))

Forgot to upload a picture; you can see that the water has turned yellow. :)

12-9-12.JPG

16. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

I've never used ial considering it for Mordin though and his flary ways.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the food thing everytime I sit down to eat Mordin goes nuts and wiggles all the way through lol so it could be the reason. I know my monkey is way too observant lol

17. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I'll have to pay attention next time I eat in front of him. I just opened the lid to adjust the divider, and they both came scrambling to the front, so I guess they're definitely food-motivated :p

18. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Here are a couple updated pictures.

1. Doesn't show his fins very well, but you can see the fun gold pattern on his head that developed :)

12-11-12 1.JPG

2. Kinda blurry, but you can see the profile of his caudal fin.

12-11-12 2.JPG

3. Vlad wanted some pictures too. Also you can see the split that's developed in *his* caudal fin.

12-11-12.JPG

4. And here's one that's a little clearer, but doesn't show the split as well. (This seems to be a trend..)

12-11-12 2.JPG

They got some new plants today :) I moved a few stems of ludwigia repens and wisteria from the 55.

19. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

They are handsome boys :)
    I have noticed the odd pin hold developing in Henry's tail I've come to the conclusion it's due to his tails being so heavy he's a double tail half moon I'm keeping an eye on him and will take action if necessary but at the moment doesn't seem to be bothering him.

Also he tends to sleep on the tank floor so weather a naughty snail is taking a chance and mistaking his tails for food I'm not sure but I don't think he would stand for it really ;)

20. kb9plc

Not that I have a lot of experience with this, but based on your Vlad and my Monet.... I really think those splits that develop are part of the rosetail thang. It looks SOOOOO similar to Monet with all the excess folds in the finnage.... and the split looks strickingly similar to what Monet has going on. He has a split near the same area and another on one of his 'dumbo ears'. They do seem to be VERY SLOWLY healing thou.

Boris' color is cool! Love it!

Food motivated: maybe you have to time your sandwiches with their feeding times. Hahahahaha!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice