What causes filter to overflow?

Mhamilton0911

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just came home to my tank's filter leaking? It's an in tank filter, so I'm not sure how it was leaking? I have it unplugged now and cleaning up the water but now I'm worried about plugging it back in.
Should I look for a clog? How long can I go without the filter plugged in?

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So this is a filter that is inside the tank? Or does it hang on the back?

Are you sure the tank itself is not leaking?

OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
IMG_20200405_183632445.jpg

It was bubbling over and going over where it hangs on the tank.

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dennis57, the lettering says Whisper.

Filters will overflow/flow over the back instead of forward if your media is too clogged up. Take the filter cartridge out, rinse it in some tank water in a bucket, and then put it back in and turn the filter back on, see if it flows through like normal.

Most filters are designed so that if the media gets too clogged up, the water just flows over the top of the cartridge/media and still makes its way into the tank. That looks like a bit of a design flaw for making the back lip too low so that water can pour backwards if media gets clogged. Probably something that got overlooked because it's an internal filter.

OP
Mhamilton0911

Mhamilton0911

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SM1199 said:
Dennis57, the lettering says Whisper.

Filters will overflow/flow over the back instead of forward if your media is too clogged up. Take the filter cartridge out, rinse it in some tank water in a bucket, and then put it back in and turn the filter back on, see if it flows through like normal.

Most filters are designed so that if the media gets too clogged up, the water just flows over the top of the cartridge/media and still makes its way into the tank. That looks like a bit of a design flaw for making the back lip too low so that water can pour backwards if media gets clogged. Probably something that got overlooked because it's an internal filter.

My husband moved the tank to the kitchen (he literally picked up the 10 gallon and walked in behind me when I was going for towels.)
So I was able to verify that it seems to be a design flaw for sure. The water kind of bubbles up before going thru the media. I rinsed and repositioned the carbon inside and it still wants to bubble over. I ended up building up that back edge with hot glue. Working so far. (I let the plastic on the filter dry, and built up several layers like a wall, not pretty but working)
IMG_20200405_200510468.jpg

I will be looking for a better designed replacement.

So my fix held up overnight. I will move (husband will) the 10 gallon back onto it's stand. I have to venture out for dog food today, so i am going to try to find a better filter for it as well. Im only going to one store though, so if they dont have anything i like, i'll have to order something.

Thanks all who relpied

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom