What Causes Bettas Fins To Over Grow?

CanadianFishFan
So my male betta Splash has super long fins. My mom had him in kitchen in a 2 gallon tall top fin tank. I told her how bad this is for him because he has extra fins and its hard to swim to the surface. Eventually I told her too bad and took Splash to my room and into my empty 5gallon. I put the sponge filter on the lowest setting so he can swim fine. I have lots of floating plants and logs so he can rest at the surface. But what causes these fins to not stop growing?

upload_2018-6-4_15-45-39.png
upload_2018-6-4_15-48-31.png
upload_2018-6-4_15-49-57.png

bigdreams
Genetics. They aren't overgrowing, they are growing to their full size. They were breeded to display long fins. They are "man made" bettas if you will. Wild bettas have shorter fins.

CanadianFishFan
Genetics. They aren't overgrowing, they are growing to their full size. They were breeded to display long fins. They are "man made" bettas if you will. Wild bettas have shorter fins.
so there's like Regular Halfmoons, and these long fin halfmoons? Interesting

bigdreams
He looks like a veiltail betta to me.

CanadianFishFan
He looks like a veiltail betta to me.
veiltail...?
This is when I bought him....

upload_2018-6-4_19-43-5.png

DutchAquarium
Your betta isn't experiencing overgrown fins. Your betta has suffered from fin rot in the past which has caused the fins to grow irregular. there isn't anything such as long fin, only over grown. Fins are overgrown when a fishes genetics aren't strong enough to hold them up. Lastly, I don't think you actually have a halfmoon betta. If you got this fish from petco, they always mess it up. This appears to be a super delta with a dragon scale genetic. It's low, but I would also consider this a rose.

Dch48
There is no place where a Betta's fins "should end". It's all in their genetics and every one is different.

CanadianFishFan
Your betta isn't experiencing overgrown fins. Your betta has suffered from fin rot in the past which has caused the fins to grow irregular. there isn't anything such as long fin, only over grown. Fins are overgrown when a fishes genetics aren't strong enough to hold them up. Lastly, I don't think you actually have a halfmoon betta. If you got this fish from petco, they always mess it up. This appears to be a super delta with a dragon scale genetic. It's low, but I would also consider this a rose.
First of all he has never ever had fin rot! Ok I get the gentics thing now. Looks at my profile.... I live in canada we do not have petco.... My mom got him from petsmart.

Dch48
He's definitely not a Veiltail. I was also going to say he might have some Rosetail in him

DutchAquarium
He most definetly had fin rot. that's what the black curled fins indicate. Alot of times fin rot can cure its self. the picture of when you first got him doesn't show it, but it looks like he could of been developing it. the thinness of the fins indicates that.

Dch48
Betta fins often get torn and don't always grow back exactly like they were. They also get more ragged and uneven as they age.

CanadianFishFan
He's definitely not a Veiltail. I was also going to say he might have some Rosetail in him
Exactly someones brain is not working.... lol. I I'm thinking he has a mix of rosetail for sure.

He most definetly had fin rot. that's what the black curled fins indicate. Alot of times fin rot can cure its self. the picture of when you first got him doesn't show it, but it looks like he could of been developing it. the thinness of the fins indicates that.
At the most they may have ripped. I would have noticed fin rot, I take pictures daily for my Instagram account. My idea is he ripped his fins and they grew back weird.
upload_2018-6-4_19-56-8.png

Dch48
He may have had some ammonia burn in the past if his water wasn't changed often enough.

CanadianFishFan
Betta fins often get torn and don't always grow back exactly like they were. They also get more ragged and uneven as they age.
I agree he may have ripped them in my moms care... He is still pretty young though. If he flared and opened his fins could I see if the fins still over lapped a bit like a rosetail?

He may have had some ammonia burn in the past if his water wasn't changed often enough.
Sounds about right... My mom said "He only water changes once a month" I told her no but she said it worked in the past...

Dch48
At the most they may have ripped. I would have noticed fin rot, I take pictures daily for my Instagram account. My idea is he ripped his fins and they grew back weird. View attachment 444396
Actually they may get a mild case of fin rot that you wouldn't notice as such.

CanadianFishFan
Actually they may get a mild case of fin rot that you wouldn't notice as such.
heres a old photo of him in my moms care, looks like he ripped them and it healed or fin rot?
upload_2018-6-4_20-1-49.png

Dch48
heres a old photo of him in my moms care, looks like he ripped them and it healed or fin rot?View attachment 444397
I can't say. I thought that Rosetail was when the rays of the fins actually branched near the ends. I might be wrong though since I've never seen a full rose. Yours does seem to have some branching at the longer parts of his ventral fin.

DutchAquarium
Still seeing fin rot. I think something that many people don't understand when dealing with fin rot is I can be very minor. Just the edges may be effected. It then, is similar to a scar and grows back irregular. look at how thin the fins are near parts of the edges. And after the last picture, I can confirm this is a dragon super delta with a rose gene.

I can't say. I thought that Rosetail was when the rays of the fins actually branched near the ends. I might be wrong though since I've never seen a full rose. Yours does seem to have some branching at the longer parts of his ventral fin.

rose is a bit more of a over lapped fin

Dch48
Actually I meant the analfin. I get them confused sometimes.

KakeHugs
I see nothing that indicated fin rot. I think it just happens as they age and are not bred to handle such long fins

bigdreams
Exactly someones brain is not working.... lol. I I'm thinking he has a mix of rosetail for sure.

Hey, no need to get snarky. Good luck with your betta.

CanadianFishFan
Hey, no need to get snarky. Good luck with your betta.
I'm protective of my fish children. but how can you see veiltail....

bigdreams
Your second photo looked like my blue veiltail betta. Bad angle??

CanadianFishFan
Your second photo looked like my blue veiltail betta. Bad angle??
Most likely

Goldfishfreak
I saved a betta from a bad pet store who got him as a "donation" they said he was about three but I think he was much older I only had him for 6 months and after about 2 months his fins did the same thing. I don't know the breed but his genetics were very bad as I had to put him on a short tank because his fins grew and curled so much.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
Top Bottom