What Caused My Fish To Die? (picture)

  • Thread starter

Verity Maskell

New Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Points
13
Experience
Just started
Hey guys
Sorry the picture isn't very nice at all, I hope none of you mind, but I'm hoping seeing it will help someone identify what they think caused my fishy to die? Is it nipping or fungus?
 

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,072
Reaction score
3,915
Points
448
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you give a discription of the tank it was in, such as size, tank mates, and water parameters (temp, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate etc)?
How long has the tank been set up and is it cycled?
How often do you do water changes and how much is changed?
How was the fish acting before it died and was there always a wound on it?

From the picture it looks like a bacterial or possibly fungal infection set in from the wound, but that could be from after-death rotting. Depending on the tank mates, it could of been attacked, hence the wound, and an infection set in and killed it.

As a side note: most fish illnesses are caused by poor water quality due to over stocking, and un-cycled tank or not enough water changes.
 

Armypro

Valued Member
Messages
360
Reaction score
102
Points
38
Experience
1 year
I'd say neither, its possible is could be Body Rot. That would have to be one mean fish or one with some big teeth to make a hole that size.
Did you Cycle your Aquarium?
What are the other Inhabitants of your Aquarium?
How big is the Aquarium?
Does any of his other tank mates exhibit abnormal signs (Signs of Stress, Abnormal Behavior, White stuff on tails and/or body)?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Verity Maskell

New Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Points
13
Experience
Just started
So it's a 40l tank and only got about 10 fish in there. This one was a newer fish. The water etc. All looks fine although the fish have started getting red gills so yesterday I put some anti fungus medicine in and just wondering if either that killed the fish or it was too late. The others looks fine just as I say they're getting pink gills a little bit. There is a bit of an aggressive fish in there, the same breed as this one, and I'm wondering if maybe he nipped and then yeah the infection set in. Not sure of water levels etc but all looks fine to me and recently tested was all good. Did a water change yesterday.
 

GazFerg

New Member
Messages
42
Reaction score
5
Points
8
Experience
5 years
Looks like it got bullied too me and died from the injury. But too be safe I would up your water changes and keep a close eye on your water quality.

Sorry for your loss
 

Nauthes

Valued Member
Messages
231
Reaction score
68
Points
63
Experience
2 years
Still need to see water quality.

Can you test your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and post the results?

If your fish are getting red gills the most common cause is ammonia, the red is the ammonia burning their gills.
IF you tank tests high in ammonia it needs to be addressed immediately before you lose more aquatic.buddies
 

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,072
Reaction score
3,915
Points
448
Experience
5 to 10 years
Red gills doesn't really indicate fungus, usually a fungal infection is either on the edges of fins are on the mouth. It will also look fuzzy if it is fungus. I don't think you had a fungal issues here. Red gills is most often due to water issues and sometimes bacterial or parasitic infections, but that's pretty rare in my experience. When in doubt, increases water changes is usually your best bet.

Zebra danios are hardly ever aggressive with each other. The males will chase females but that's only when spawning. Sometimes they get a little nippy when there's only a few of them, that's why they like to be in school of at least 6 or so.
 

jmarks

Valued Member
Messages
259
Reaction score
48
Points
63
Experience
Just started
I am going to assume that you are pretty new and didnt properly cycle the tank.

How long have you had the tank with fish in it?
Do you test your water or did you take it to a store?
Do you know what the nitrogen cycle is?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Verity Maskell

New Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Points
13
Experience
Just started
I'm going to take the water to test tomorrow. I've had the tank about 3 weeks. Didn't cycle properly but fish have been fine until now. Hopefully this will tell me if the ammonia levels are too high. Will continue to do regular water changes. Just curious what this particular fish likely died from! Seems an unusual mark.
 

GazFerg

New Member
Messages
42
Reaction score
5
Points
8
Experience
5 years
3 weeks with around 10 fish probably points too a water quality issue. As you said, do plenty of water changes and get yourself an API test kit if you not got one already. Good luck
 

zcpetty

Well Known Member
Messages
1,060
Reaction score
120
Points
108
Experience
4 years
Verity Maskell said:
I'm going to take the water to test tomorrow. I've had the tank about 3 weeks. Didn't cycle properly but fish have been fine until now. Hopefully this will tell me if the ammonia levels are too high. Will continue to do regular water changes. Just curious what this particular fish likely died from! Seems an unusual mark.
You should invest in an API freshwater liquid test kit.. they use those strips at the lfs and they arent too accurate. When i first started they said i was good with ammonia at 2ppm... false.
 

Nauthes

Valued Member
Messages
231
Reaction score
68
Points
63
Experience
2 years
zcpetty said:
. When i first started they said i was good with ammonia at 2ppm... false.
Ha, yeah when I first started took my water in for a test and ammonia was around 2ppm.
They're all, "yeah its in the watch zone but should be safe".

Pfft, yeah right... "safe"
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom