What Catfish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Jake the Fish, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Jake the Fish

Jake the FishValued MemberMember

For my new tank (might be getting this Sunday) I am getting Electric Yellow Cichlids, Red Finned Cichlids, a Featherfin Catfish and another catfish. The tank is going to be an AR-850. I don't know which catfish to get to go with my Featherfin. Featherfin Catfish like to be the only ones of their species. I was thinking of a Plecostamus but I was wondering if there are any other good ones.

Also how many Electric Yellows and Red Finned Cichlids should I get? I was thinking of 6 of each. (sorry, I know this part is in the wrong section)

2. gunner13Well Known MemberMember

Hi jake, it would be helpful if you told us the size of your new tank before anyone could give you a descent recommendation for a new catfish,
    Nick

3. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

How many gallons is your tank going to be? I googled AR-850 and got a brand name and pictures but not a size :) Before we can discuss fish we need to know this.
    are you going to fishless cycle or use media from your other tanks?
    Carol

4. RhanWell Known MemberMember

An Ar-850 is 160litres :)

5. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Thanks that converts out to approx 40g. The featherfin(Synodontis eupteres) gets quite large at right around 8 inches(mine was at least this big) so another catfish might not work our.  
    As far as the Cichlids I;m not real sure about them but have a feeling six of each may be a few too many.
    Carol

6. gunner13Well Known MemberMember

I have a syno euruptus with 2 yellow labs, 2 red top hongi and 2 false fronosa, i think a pictus or a striped raphael would be ok with what you have, but bearing in mind my tank is 240litres. hope this helps
    Nick

7. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

Jake the FishValued MemberMember

How many cichlids should I get then?
    I read that Featherfin's atleast need a 40g tank.

8. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I'd stick to just the Featherfin with 4 Yellow Labs & 5 Trewavas. MAYBE a Brisltelnose but that's only a maybe. I'd stick with the Featherfin as the only catfish. You can try 6 of each mbuna but be prepared to remove a couple if things get out of hand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice