What carpeting plants don’t need co2

Megaanemp

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all,

I have a spare 10 gallon that I don’t know what to do with.
Im thinking I want to try doing some more thought out aquascaping with it.
Are there any carpeting plants that I could grow with moderate lighting and no co2 injections?
Also would it be better to plant them in some type of aqua soil or in pool filter sand with root tabs?

Advice is much appreciated:)

Best Answer - View Megaanemp's answer

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dwarf Sagittaria grows like a weed with a decent light and some liquid fertilizers and will cover the bottom of a tank in no time. No Co2 required.

I think aqua soil definitely will never let you down but, I would not call it a necessity either. If you're starting from scratch its worth considering of course.

OP
Megaanemp

Megaanemp

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cody said:
Dwarf Sagittaria grows like a weed with a decent light and some liquid fertilizers and will cover the bottom of a tank in no time. No Co2 required.

I think aqua soil definitely will never let you down but, I would not call it a necessity either. If you're starting from scratch its worth considering of course.
Thanks for the help I appreciate it :)

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Megaanemp said:
Thanks for the help I appreciate it :)
No problem! And I don't want to speak for certain but with a 10g and the tank height you may be able to pull off some other carpeting plants without C02 depending on your light. They may not grow as fast but they would most likely grow with ferts and a good light. But most plant lights are going to be Medium to High light on a 10 gallon.

But Dwarf Sag does well even in a low light setup so I know that is a safe bet but I know others will chime in eventually.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Smaller mat-forming carpeting plants that can grow low tech: Micranthemum monte carlo, dwarf hair grass (parvula or acicularis), marsilea

Not gonna say that aquasoil is absolutely necessary, but it would be wise to use one. These plants are tiny but form large plant masses that are nutrient hogs. Root tabs are okay, but how far the nutrients spread, how long they last, if the release is consistent over time, etc is unknown. Also probably form pockets of nutrients and areas without, which the tiny plants not over a pocket won't benefit from. A liquid fertilizer is also recommended :)

OP
Megaanemp

Megaanemp

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Awesome! Thanks for the help everyone I really appreciate it :)

New Threads