What can you suggest for a quite large aquarium?

ToOthleSS04

I recently noticed that in my 125 l aquarium that two bottom dweller species (corydoras sterbai and crossochelius siamensis) went along pretty well, and also with the other species of fish (rasbora, barbus, danio..), and so I was thinking in making a way larger aquarium someday. I thought it would be cool making a sort of aquascaping: in the very sides of the tank making very planted zones (something like the rainforest) and as we go to the center plants gradually disappear formign something like a desert. The species I've chosen are the following: Corydoras sterbai and trilineatus, Platy fish, Swordtail fish, zebra pleco, cherry barb and five band barb, danio margaritatus, zebra and spotted, crossochelòius siamensis and several species of tetra. Also I thought adding a great bunch of cherry shrimp and nerite snails even before adding the fish. Regarding the plants, I still don't know if some red-painted species would not necessarly require a substrate to survive. How big the tank must be? Like 500 liters or so? What other things you want to suggest?

MacZ

The species I've chosen are the following: Corydoras sterbai and trilineatus, Platy fish, Swordtail fish, zebra pleco, cherry barb and five band barb, danio margaritatus, zebra and spotted, crossochelòius siamensis and several species of tetra.
I would probably reduce the number of species. Also there are some less fortunate combinations in your plan.
Boisterous livebearers like platies and swordtails need harder water and have negative impact on rather shy species like the danio margaritatus, which definitely do better in smaller species tanks (and need much cooler water to thrive).
Zebra plecos (if you want the actual L46) are also not a case for a community tank, they need warmer water than the rest and being on the CITES list and quite expensive I can also only say to put these in a separate tank.
I can tell you also that Crossocheilus are also negatively impacting smaller, rather shy tetras, I have myself taken in several cardinals that were picked off one by one by a single-kept Crossocheilus (they may act a bit like red-tail sharks when kept alone). So there maybe a bigger species of tetra is advisable.

So probably a good stocking in 500l:

6-8 Crossocheilus
20-25 cherry barbs
20-25 highbacked tetras (e.g. phantoms, bleeding hearts, blackskirts or the like)
15-20 hatchetfish or pencilfish
20-25 Corydoras (just stock up your sterbai)

Tigerburp

I would go with Amano shrimp, they are great algae eaters ,better then cherry shrimp

ToOthleSS04

Thanks for all of your answers!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishIord
Replies
Views
tyguy7760
Replies
Views
fishfanatic15