what can live with piranhas?? Question

1. wadesharp Initiate Member

i have heard of people keeping some stuff with there piranhas but i for get what... is there any kind of bottom feeders that can or no?? i just want my tank to have a little more color or life seeing as my piranhas are shy right now and hiding a lot even though there is not much for them to hind behind.

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Not that I know of....what size tank are they in?

3. wadesharp Initiate Member

right now it is a 90 gallon

4. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Hard-shelled inverts would work, but most of them require a significant amount of space of their own.

Other than that, any fish you add to the mix will survive based not only on their own traits, but on the setup of the tank (lots of hiding places) and how well the piranhas are fed. Even then, there's no guarantee that the piranha won't attack the fish (they are primarily piscovore, after all).
    Aside from that, I wouldn't keep more than a school of piranha in a 90g anyway. Really, they'll need an upgrade in the future.

5. wadesharp Initiate Member

i have heard of people putting oscars and cichlids with them but i was just seeing if there is anything else??

well i have an over load in filtration i have a H.O.T magnum(rated for a 125-150 gallon tank), some other hang on the back filter (rated for a 29 gallon though), and my two under the gavel filters(each one is rated at 110 gallons an hour)

6. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Excess filtration does not offer the fish swimming space, nor does it expand the tank's bioload, as it doesn't remove nitrates. It helps turn ammonia into nitrates, of course, but the nitrates still build up.

7. wadesharp Initiate Member

here are a few pictures for you guys and gals... my fish are not red right now due to the tank lights being off for about ten mins so i turned them on to snap a few pics for you guys and girls

Attached Files:

8. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Nice pics.
    I still wouldn't suggest adding anything except for at least two more piranhas to give them a proper school. Otherwise, they tend to act like any other nippy fish, the difference being that they can seriously hurt each other with a single nip.
    And, if in a proper school, they will eventually do best in a larger tank.

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

10. wadesharp Initiate Member

thanks for the compliment although im still working on putting it back together due to a HUGE cleaning

do they do better in a "proper" school then they would right now? i know some fish such and neon tetras NEED there own kind about 5-6 at least but more is always better... are these the same way?? also with neon's they live longer with the bigger school they have

:animal0068:Hello. I've merged your posts to save some space since there was not a response between. Too, there is an "Edit" key at the bottom of every post which you could use in this case and also for corrections.
    Thanks!
    Ken

11. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, they are nippy fish, and like any other schooling, nippy fish, the aggression gets concentrated if they aren't in a school. The specific problem with piranha is that a single nip can cut half a fin off. Because of this, you want to spread this aggression out. With more individuals to chase around, it's much less likely that any one of them will get hurt.

12. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I used to keep a pleco in with my piranhas and it was ok.