What can live with guppy fry?

1. Daniel W Member Member

I have a ten gallon filled with guppy fry, which are going to be all moved to my main tank. I don't want an empty tank nor a tank that has to have the nitrogen cycle started again. So I ask the question, "what can live with guppy fry?" I ask this question because I need to use my 10 gallon tank for fry in the future. The fish should preferably have a low bioload, and (hopefully) pretty. Thanks!

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Rather than keep a fish in the tank, you can move the filter and/or media to your main tank, and move it back to the 10 gal whenever you need to put guppy fry in there.

3. Daniel W Member Member

Its not just that, I have the 10 gallon in my kitchen, and I feel like I'll be wasting it. It would be preferable if I could get another fish it it. I'm still not sure if I'm moving all my fish pr just most of them regardless of what I said above. Some of my fry are runts, and I'm not sure if they'll be eaten or not. They'll also need more attention than the others. Still debating though.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

There aren't many fish I would trust with guppy fry that would fit in a 10 gal. What about shrimp instead? You could have a nice colony.

5. Daniel W Member Member

Huh, I never thought of that. Good idea! Thanks, I'll look into that. The only real problem is none of my lfs that I know of carry the type of shrimp I want.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of shrimp do you want?

You can always order online.

7. Daniel W Member Member

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can easily find cherry shrimp online, if you feel comfortable ordering them that way.

9. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

EricV sells them here. Check the buy and sell area of the forum . there are others that sell them Dolfan sells them too and others but I can't remember the names. Alison

10. titusxander Member Member

I would suggest placing a group of cory cats in that tank. I have always had cory cats with my guppies and guppy fry without any issue. Not sure how they would do with a bare bottom since I have always had gravel in my tanks. But at least you would have an in house clean up crew for those messy fish children! haha :;sonar

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Cories aren't appropriate for a 10 gal, and when keeping them in a bare bottom tank, it's hard to keep them healthy.