What can live in a fish bowl?

almostthere002

I have an awesome vase that is probably 2 gallons. I have a betas already...looking for something different to put in there (maybe). I cannot think of any fish besides a betta and some goldfish. What could live in a room temp fish bowl? Please include water loving frogs, newts, snails, fish...whatever you can think of. The container is round tall and wide. It is not small and cruel. I have rocks in there and two bamboo shoots in there. Please keep in mind the top is not covered so I don't want anything to jump out. Thanks.....

Amanda

I really would not suggest that anything live in an unfiltered, unheated bowl.

Lucy

I agree with Amanda
Bowls are for soup. Tropical fish need tropical temps and it's almost impossible to heat a bowl with the consistantcy that fish need, also in an unfiltered, uncycled bowl the water can get out of whack very quickly.

You could do a no fish, planted bowl with low light plants. That would be pretty.

Aquarist

Agreed. Without heat and filtration I wouldn't try to keep anything alive in a bowl.

Blub

Although I mean no offence by this - by an aquatic animal's standards 2gals is very small and cruel. I would recommend at least a tank of at least 5gals as a sensible minimum tank size for African dwarf frogs, Fire-bellied toads, small fish (Ember tetras, Pygmy gouramis, Dwarf corys, the list could go on and on!) and snails. For Newts, well I think Fire bellied newts need at least 10-20gals.

JohnnyGoldfish

Plant Terrariums are cool

Beth1965

Plant Terrariums are cool
I love terrariums.
IMO there isn't a difference between putting a betta, a goldfish or a whale in a bowl. I really don't think you oughtta put fish in a bowl. Frogs won't work either cause you have to worry about them jumping out.

Beth

Fish Addict

I imagine that if you planted it well enough, you could possibly keep some tiny shrimp in there, like Red Cherries. But even that would be a stretch and you'd need substrates, plants, etc.

gremlin

I think it would look great with just plants. I have a fish shaped bowl that was sold as a betta bowl that I will eventually put baby tears in. And maybe some type of fern or trailing plant. The taller/trailing plants would spill out over the rI'm and the whole thing would be really pretty. The nice thing about using fish bowls for plants is that you don't have to water them as often. Just make sure there is a layer of small pebbles in the bottom for a bit of drainage and a chunk or two of charcoal to keep the soil sweet. Then just keep a mist bottle by it and spray it every couple of days.

pepetj

In a 2gal bowl, I would use either a mini-filter or a small sponge filter and a mini-heater. Upgrade the light to at least 7 or 9W at 6,400K using a standard incandescent socket Compact Fluorescent.

I would use (up to three inches height) of good substrate (like Azoo plant grower bed or Eco-Complete or alike), place a tiny piece of driftwood and plant in there one anubias barterI var. petite and java moss in the middle of it, then bunchs of microswords or dwarf hairgrass all around. Once fully cycled, I would consider adding say, two Nerite Snails. This will likely leave only one and a half gallons of water volume.

Bowls can look great, even if no fish is in them. Personally I wouldn't use bowls for fish If I can avoid them.

Pepe
Santo Domingo

Tony G.

that is a good idea. Aquascaping in a small bowl sounds fun, I think I might try it.

almostthere002

Thanks...I figured there wasn't anything except bettas. Not a big deal...I already have 4 tanks up and running I don't think I need anything else. Plants would be cool. Thanks.

Butterfly

Years ago I did a 1 gallon pickle jar up with pretty rocks, plants and a no fishing sign.
it was really unique and lots of fun to watch people looking all over in it looking for fish(there weren't) LoL

almostthere002

Too funny...my fiance's kids do that with my Qtank...except now there is a fish in there. I will keep that in mind too. Any suggestions on cool plants? Maybe something that flowers???

Butterfly

Got a pic of the bowl?
Carol

prairielilly

I'd put a dwarf African violet in it, some pebbles maybe, and stick it by the window. Done

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
JettsPapa
Replies
Views
FishFiendSP
Replies
Views
PlanetRock
Replies