What Can I Use A 1 Gallon Tank For?

  • Thread starter Aquariumlover1357
  • Start date
  • Thread starter
  • #1

Aquariumlover1357

Active Member
Member
Messages
157
Hi! Hope everyone's having a great day.

I've bought a 1-gallon aquarium from the beginning of my fishkeeping journey to use as a quarantine tank. Now that all my fish are in the main tank, I just have an empty tank. Like, literally empty. Like, only a heater and a filter empty.
I was looking into nano fish, and saw that some shrimp and/or snails could be kept in 1 gallon tanks... is this possible?
Also, what decor should I put into the tank, like would live plants survive in a nano tank, or should I just stick with artificial? Also, should I buy gravel or sand?

Any suggestions are appreciated and thanks in advance!
 
  • #2

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,118
Mini walstad with a shrimp colony!! :D
 
  • #3

UnknownUser

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,867
A nice live planted java fern or anubias or other similar easy and small plants with some snails and shrimp would be a great tank! :)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

Aquariumlover1357

Active Member
Member
Messages
157
Thank you guys for the replies! Yes. I will probably do a planted tank. Do you know how many shrimps and snails I can put?
 
  • #5

UnknownUser

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,867
Aquariumlover1357 said:
Thank you guys for the replies! Yes. I will probably do a planted tank. Do you know how many shrimps and snails I can put?
My best guess is add some and let them repopulate to the levels they feel appropriate. They’ll self-regulate based on food and such.
 
  • #6

mimo91088

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,523
Yayy snails! What kind you thinking?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Aquariumlover1357

Active Member
Member
Messages
157
I will probably put 1-2 nerite or mystery snails along with 2 ghost shrimps since I have 2 nerites in my main tank already and they're fun to watch, and I've heard ghost shrimps are really cool. Thanks again for all the responses!
 
  • #8

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,223
Aquariumlover1357 said:
I will probably put 1-2 nerite or mystery snails along with 2 ghost shrimps since I have 2 nerites in my main tank already and they're fun to watch, and I've heard ghost shrimps are really cool. Thanks again for all the responses!
Great! The snails will not be able to survive off of so little algae that will grow in a 1 gallon (plus mystery snails do not usually eat algae unlike nerites) so make sure to feed them blanched peas and leafy greens ;)
 
  • #9

Gone

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,720
To be honest, although there are cool things you could do with a 1G tank, you'll need to spend a lot of time for maintenance. The smaller the tank, the more difficult it is to keep balanced water parameters. With a larger tank levels change more slowly and they tend to be more stable. With smaller tanks there will be more swings in water.

I'm not trying to convince you not to do the 1G. Just think about the level of maintenance will probably be the same as for any other tanks you have. You could probably just as easily do a 5G or a 10G. What's better, more gallons or fewer? LOL
 
  • #10

cdw202x

Active Member
Member
Messages
89
I feel like my answer is going to the odd one out, but I'd just keep it empty in case you need a hospital or unexpected quarantine tank.

I've been in your situation and thought I would put something in there, but them as soon as I did, I had to use a bowl or large jar for isolation of a fish, shrimp or plant. In the end, I've decided to just keep it in case an emergency pops up.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

Aquariumlover1357

Active Member
Member
Messages
157
AquaticQueen said:
Great! The snails will not be able to survive off of so little algae that will grow in a 1 gallon (plus mystery snails do not usually eat algae unlike nerites) so make sure to feed them blanched peas and leafy greens ;)
Alright! I have the Hikari Algae Wafers that I feed my current snails in my 5 gallon that I'm planning to give, but yes, I will definitely also add some veggies to feed them.

GuppyDazzle said:
To be honest, although there are cool things you could do with a 1G tank, you'll need to spend a lot of time for maintenance. The smaller the tank, the more difficult it is to keep balanced water parameters. With a larger tank levels change more slowly and they tend to be more stable. With smaller tanks there will be more swings in water.

I'm not trying to convince you not to do the 1G. Just think about the level of maintenance will probably be the same as for any other tanks you have. You could probably just as easily do a 5G or a 10G. What's better, more gallons or fewer? LOL
Yeah. I definitely agree. I really want something big like a 20 gallon, but I don't think I'll have enough room or a budget big enough to stock/decorate it. I'm planning on putting it in my room on my desk. As silly as it sounds, I personally think that it'd be easier to clean than a 20 gal. (I know I'm probably wrong, but it's just my weird way of viewing it). Besides, I think a heavily planted (what I'll be going for) 1 gallon will look very fancy and better than a lightly planted 10 gallon with the same decor. But this is just my preference. Lol:):p

cdw202x said:
I feel like my answer is going to the odd one out, but I'd just keep it empty in case you need a hospital or unexpected quarantine tank.

I've been in your situation and thought I would put something in there, but them as soon as I did, I had to use a bowl or large jar for isolation of a fish, shrimp or plant. In the end, I've decided to just keep it in case an emergency pops up.
Yeah. I've definitely thought about it, but I only have one other tank (5.5 gal) and literally everything I've had to treat I could just treat in the whole tank (betta, 2 tiny adfs, 2 snails). However, that is a really good suggestion, and I will keep that in mind. But I think I will only have 2-3 snails and shrimps combined, so if it's an emergency, I think it could still act as a treatment tank (maybe?)
 
  • #12

UnknownUser

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,867
Aquariumlover1357 said:
Yeah. I've definitely thought about it, but I only have one other tank (5.5 gal) and literally everything I've had to treat I could just treat in the whole tank (betta, 2 tiny adfs, 2 snails). However, that is a really good suggestion, and I will keep that in mind. But I think I will only have 2-3 snails and shrimps combined, so if it's an emergency, I think it could still act as a treatment tank (maybe?)
Most snails and shrimp and live plants can’t handle medications well, so I would not plan on using a tank with any of those things for a QT
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13

Aquariumlover1357

Active Member
Member
Messages
157
UnknownUser said:
Most snails and shrimp and live plants can’t handle medications well, so I would not plan on using a tank with any of those things for a QT
Oh well. It's alright. I don't think I'll need one really. I'll buy another tank if I seriously need a QT, but I think for now, I'll be fine. Thanks for the suggestion.
 
  • #14

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,084
Opae Ula, a tiny brackish water shrimp that is basically bulletproof.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15

Aquariumlover1357

Active Member
Member
Messages
157
Oh! I searched Opae Ulas, and they do seem to be good shrimp. I'll consider adding them into the stocking.
 
  • #16

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,321
My old 1 gal is being used as a wastebasket in my garage :/, shrimp may be a better use for it.
 
  • #17

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,084
Aquariumlover1357 said:
Oh! I searched Opae Ulas, and they do seem to be good shrimp. I'll consider adding them into the stocking.
Remember, they're brackish and can't live in full freshwater
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18

Aquariumlover1357

Active Member
Member
Messages
157
If I'm getting them, I'll surely add aquarium salt and work from there. Thanks for the reminder!
 
  • #19

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,084
Aquariumlover1357 said:
If I'm getting them, I'll surely add aquarium salt and work from there. Thanks for the reminder!
It's gotta be marine salt ;)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20

Aquariumlover1357

Active Member
Member
Messages
157
Oh... well, now I know! :)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #21

Aquariumlover1357

Active Member
Member
Messages
157
Hi again! Donno if this thread is dead or not, but just wanted to update you guys. I've been cycling my 1 gallon for a little more than 6 weeks now. All the parameters are looking great, and ammonia is almost down to zero. There is still a little bit of brown algae on the lonely anubia plant I put in there, but otherwise, everything looks ready.

This or next Sunday, I am going to get about 3 ghost shrimp from the fish store. I decided against the Opae Ulas because I just didn't feel like making a tiny tank a brackish tank. I'll update you guys again when I get them! Hopefully get some pictures too. :)
 
Top Bottom