What Can I Put With Oscars Help

Discussion in 'Oscars' started by DougU, May 31, 2019.

1. DougUNew MemberMember

What fish can I put with my 6 inch albino tiger oscar and my 3 inch regular tiger oscar??? They have managed to kill 3 tiger barbs and one 4 inch red devil cichlid

2. NC122606Well Known MemberMember

What is the tank size?

3. DougUNew MemberMember

55 gallon at the moment but im looking into purchasing a 180 gallon

4. NC122606Well Known MemberMember

I'd honestly wait until you get the 180-gallon tank for tankmates because 55 is going to be cramped soon.

5. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

I would get the tank first, then get some other fish. In a 180, a nice group of silver dollars would be awesome. Just need to remember anything that can fit in an oscar's mouth is a meal to them. And when fully grown, they can carry a golf ball around in their mouth.

6. DougUNew MemberMember

Im not sure what to put with them in the 180 gallon that they won’t kill

7. NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Sun Eclipse Catfish? But it will probably have to be a decent size when you get it.

8. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

As I said previously, silver dollars are great tank mates for oscars.

9. JDK426Valued MemberMember

Go with a big tank. I kept keeping a minimal size tank and having to upgrade every so often. I was young, and broke, but Oscars are what set the addiction for me, and some of my favorite fish to be had. I just don't have the space for such large aquariums. Plecos and silver dollars are what I kept with mine. If it can fit into their mouth they will eat it.

10. Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

In suitable sized tanks some people provide a retreat where other fish can go to survive when attacked and the oscar cannot follow.

Tankmates will get attacked, sometimes when you least expect it and it is rather cruel to leave them vulnerable and defenceless.