What can I put with a turtle in a 100 gallon tank?

1. I'm not Fish-ist

I'm not Fish-ist Valued Member Member

I just got a 100 gallon tank for my 3 year old turtle named Flip. He is a chinese golden thread turtle and has reached his max size of 8 inches. The tank is 5' by 18" by about 20/21 inches. He has lived with 2 5 inch beautiful comet goldfish but they passed about a year ago and he is currently living with 2 2inch and 2 3inch comets. When I move him I might sell them. 50/50 chance of that. What other fish that are at least 1.5/2 inches and dont get bigger than about 6/6.5 inches can I keep with him. am not worried about losing fish because he is very friendly to fish and other tankmates. I will have a 4 inch pleco with Flip in the 100.I would like to get another baby turtle but dont know how that will go. I could put him in the old tank that I'm moving my turtle from. As for any tankmates I am worried about Flip getting picked on. I have a 30 gallon planted to move them to but I would rather give them to a credited fish store as I have plans for that tank. I have some things in mind but dont know of anything i for sure want yet so im open to anything. Thanks

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. OP
    OP
    I'm not Fish-ist

Nevermind I have found what I want to stock with

4. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Flip sounds like a well taken care of turtle. Could you post a picture as I have never seen that type before. What did you decide to stock with? I kept turtles for a while 40 plus years ago and still really like them. Alison:;hi1

5. OP
    OP
    I'm not Fish-ist

https://www.fishlore.com/imagehost/image.php?di=1AFL this is when he was around 5months old . I don't have any current pics of him. I was going to buy 15ish ghost shrimp. Some mysties and either a few pictus cats or 10 or so oto cats. I also have a 4.5 inch (trinidad i think?) pleco which is with Flip in his current tank and will go to the 100 with him.

6. OP
    OP
    I'm not Fish-ist

What would be better? 2 or 3 Emperor 400 filters? I will have 2 no matter what but is a third too much filtration? I am going to build him a basking area with a "crawl-on" from water to land (like this-https://www.fishlore.com/imagehost/image.php?di=CMZU), so I can fill the tank all the way. So I will be filtering the whole 100 gallons.

7. OP
    OP
    I'm not Fish-ist

I have used Emperor 400's before so I know their cleaning power and that they are very good

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would not keep any fish with a turtle, the turtle will just hunt and eat them.