What can I put with a turtle in a 100 gallon tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by I'm not Fish-ist, Jul 4, 2016.

1. I'm not Fish-ist

I'm not Fish-istValued MemberMember

I just got a 100 gallon tank for my 3 year old turtle named Flip. He is a chinese golden thread turtle and has reached his max size of 8 inches. The tank is 5' by 18" by about 20/21 inches. He has lived with 2 5 inch beautiful comet goldfish but they passed about a year ago and he is currently living with 2 2inch and 2 3inch comets. When I move him I might sell them. 50/50 chance of that. What other fish that are at least 1.5/2 inches and dont get bigger than about 6/6.5 inches can I keep with him. am not worried about losing fish because he is very friendly to fish and other tankmates. I will have a 4 inch pleco with Flip in the 100.I would like to get another baby turtle but dont know how that will go. I could put him in the old tank that I'm moving my turtle from. As for any tankmates I am worried about Flip getting picked on. I have a 30 gallon planted to move them to but I would rather give them to a credited fish store as I have plans for that tank. I have some things in mind but dont know of anything i for sure want yet so im open to anything. Thanks

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. OP
    OP
    I'm not Fish-ist

Nevermind I have found what I want to stock with

4. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

Flip sounds like a well taken care of turtle. Could you post a picture as I have never seen that type before. What did you decide to stock with? I kept turtles for a while 40 plus years ago and still really like them. Alison:;hi1

5. OP
    OP
    I'm not Fish-ist

https://www.fishlore.com/imagehost/image.php?di=1AFL this is when he was around 5months old . I don't have any current pics of him. I was going to buy 15ish ghost shrimp. Some mysties and either a few pictus cats or 10 or so oto cats. I also have a 4.5 inch (trinidad i think?) pleco which is with Flip in his current tank and will go to the 100 with him.

6. OP
    OP
    I'm not Fish-ist

What would be better? 2 or 3 Emperor 400 filters? I will have 2 no matter what but is a third too much filtration? I am going to build him a basking area with a "crawl-on" from water to land (like this-https://www.fishlore.com/imagehost/image.php?di=CMZU), so I can fill the tank all the way. So I will be filtering the whole 100 gallons.

7. OP
    OP
    I'm not Fish-ist

I have used Emperor 400's before so I know their cleaning power and that they are very good

8. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I would not keep any fish with a turtle, the turtle will just hunt and eat them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice