What Can I Put In My Tank? Question

1. Fairy King Initiate Member

I currently have a 3.5 gallon tank, but am planning on switching to a 10 gallon in a few months. My 3.5 has been cycling for a week and a half now, and when it's finished cycling my plan is to start out with a male betta and maybe some snails or shrimp, then add some tetra when I upgrade to the 10. Does this sound like a good plan? Are there any flaws that I haven't thought of? I am aware of the aggression of bettas, so I'll be adding the tetras to the new tank before the betta, and keep the 3.5 set up for a few days so I can put the betta back in there if something goes wrong.

I think this all sounds good, but I'd also like to know if anyone has any other suggestions for a 3.5 or 10 gallon tank. I've done tons of research, and it seems like most people don't suggest putting anything other than a betta, some shrimp, or some snails into a 3.5, but I thought I'd ask in case I've missed something. c:

Also, is a 3.5 gallon tank too small for 2 or 3 female bettas? I've considered getting some females because I'd like to have more than one fish, but I haven't been able to figure out if the 3.5 is large enough for multiple female bettas or not.

Thanks for any help you can give!

2. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't do much else other than the betta, maybe a couple snails would work.
    Something you'd want to know. Bettas don't get along with many tetras, especially the glofish/white skirts. Neon tetras will damage the betta's fins overnight. You'd also need a 20g for tetras.

3. Polyrhythm Member Member

The 3.5 is indeed only okay for a single betta and/or snails and shrimp (if you're putting the shrimp in with the betta provide lots of cover, some bettas just enjoy them as an easy snack)

Tetras need 20g at least and are generally incompatible with bettas, they tend to nip their fins and need a different temperature.

As for keeping multiple females this should only be attempted in a heavily planted tank (20g or larger) and even then it might not work out. Females can be just as aggressive with each other as males are.

4. Fairy King Initiate Member

Oh wow, really? I thought for sure I'd read somewhere that tetras would go well with a betta. Thank you for letting me know! I most likely would have done that otherwise.

Is there anything that would work in a 10 gallon with a betta? Or would it be safer to stick with snails?

5. Polyrhythm Member Member

In a 10 it's probably still best to stick with shrimp and snails. For shrimp You could try amano shrimp, they're much bigger than RCS and duller in color, so they're not as easy of a target. But if his temperament is really bad I'd just do snails.

You could also keep 2 bettas if you divide it.

6. JENNIFER020980 Initiate Member

I have 2 females each in their own 2.5 gallon tank. One of them is more aggressive than either of my males. I have heard you can do a sorority of females if the tank is larger enough 20 gallons (?) and you have lots of plants/hiding places and enough females so any aggression is dispersed throughout the larger group. Personally it makes me nervous especially after seeing my super aggressive female. Best of luck to you.

7. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

If you haven't already purchased the 10 you can get a 20 for 20.00 from petco until August sometime. The 16th or 19th

8. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Get a 20 Long if you want fish tankmates for a betta, i would do
    In a 3.5 Gallon
    1 Male Betta
    2 Amano Shrimp

In a 10 Gallon
    1 Male Betta
    10 RCS
    5 Amano Shrimp
    1 Nerite Snail

In a 20 Long
    1 Male Betta
    8-10 Glowlight Tetras
    6-8 Bronze Cories
    20 RCS
    10 Amano Shrimp
    2-3 Nerite Snails

9. Piggy50 Initiate Member

I have a 2 gallon tank and I have 2 guppies an African dwarf frog and a snail. I would recommend and African dwarf frog. You don't see them much, mines always hiding in the plants, but their fun to watch sometimes. One problem for me is my fish always find the frogs food and eat it before he does. But he's still alive and well.

10. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Your tank is overstocked but i agree ADFs are fun to watch(I had one once).

11. Fairy King Initiate Member

I'd absolutely love to get a 20+ gallon tank (in fact, I'd love something at least 30 gallons), but unfortunately the building that I'm getting ready to move into doesn't allow anyone to keep tanks larger than 10 gallons.

Thank you all very much for your help! I'll be sure to watch for any signs of aggression in my betta to decide weather to add shrimp or not. I'm also not set on getting a betta specifically, so if anyone has any other suggestions for a 10 gallon, I'd definitely appreciate it!

12. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Here's a couple of ideas for a 10 gallon

1 peacock goby
    8-10 celestial pearl danios

1 or 2 endlers
    8-10 chili rasboras

10 celestial pearl danios
    2-3 Asian stone catfish

You could add some shrimp and snails to the ideas above.

13. Freshwatercrab Member Member

An often overlooked but fun nano fish is the pea puffer. Species only tank but they are very active and full of personality. You could have 1 in the smaller tank and 3 in the 10g. Another idea for the 10g is shell dwelling cichlids. Again species only but lots of fun to watch. As for tank mates in the 10 with a betta, i think you could add a school of rasboras. I say i think because i know they are compatible but im unsure if theyll work in a 10. Rachel Oleary has some really great nano options besides the typical betta. I love her youtube channel.

14. Fairy King Initiate Member

@BottomDweller | I absolutely love both celestial pearl danios and endlers! And it's funny you mention cpds because I found out about those probably just an hour or two before you suggested them, and I fell in love almost instantly. Do you think endlers and cpds would work well together? I'd absolutely love to keep both of them. <3

Also, do endlers and cpds do well in hard water? If not, what's the best way to soften water? My tap water is extremely hard, and I've tried doing a bit of research but it's all a bit confusing.

@Freshwatercrab | Thank you so much for the suggestion! Those pea puffers are adorable. <3 And Rachel O'leary's youtube seems super helpful, I'm sure I'll be looking there quite often!

15. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

You could do
    8-10 CPDs
    2-3 Endlers
    Cherry Shrimp

16. Fairy King Initiate Member

I'm about 99% sure I'll be going with Lance0414's suggestion, as I absolutely adore both Endlers and CPDs. However, I do have a few questions to make sure I don't run into any problems. I don't have any room for fry, so I'd really rather not have any breeding pairs, but I definitely would like males because I like their colors better. Would it be okay to have an all male tank? Or will I need some females? Are CPDs active breeders? I may be able to deal with fry, keeping them in my 3.5 until I can give them away, but it seems like a bit of a hassle that I'd rather avoid if I can.

17. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

All males would be fine

CPD are not extremely easy to breed and eggs/fry would probably be eaten if you just left them.

18. jertan98 Member Member

not very conventional but one of my first stockings for my 10g was:

1 female betta (very peaceful girl)
    5 Harlequinn rasboras
    5 hasbrosus cories.

i didnt know i was overstocked but the tank still did well as i used a filter rated for a 29g and did a WC every 2 weeks.