What can I put in a 29?

PufferFan

I want to do a small african tank and I know I'm restricted to probably tangyanikans. I also don't want to do multis. Unfortunately the selections at my LFS are limited to LeleupI and brichardi. I would really like to try to breed something. Maybe just 3-5 fish in a very nice cavescape, or shell dwellers of some kind if I can find them.

am actually thinking of making the tank 2 tiered, with a large outcropping of rock that acts as a shelf for more shells since the tank is pretty high

thanks for any ideas !

therealpatricksnyder

Here are my suggestions if you can find them:
Option A: Ram Cichlids - they are small, peaceful, and most fish stores carry them.
Option B: A M/F pair of Peacock Cichlids, maybe even 1M & 2F, on the smaller size for cichlids and pairs do well together.
Option C: Mbuna - Medium size but they do well in groups and you have lots of colors to choose from.

Also keep in mind that aggressive Cichlids do better slightly overstocked, with over filtration of course. Tazawa Tanks on YouTube has some good videos on general calculations for stocking of Cichlids. Not a guaranteed rule but more of a general starting point but if I remember correctly for small to medium sized Cichlids the formula is 60-70% of actual tank water volume divided by 2. So for you to be on the safe side lets say you're 29 actually holds a little less water since you aren't filling it to the edge of the rim...therefore: (28 x .6)/2 = ~8

So you can house about 8 Cichlids max if they only grow to an adult size of ~4-5 inches or so. I asked my LFS and they agreed that this is a pretty good starting point however, they would have to be the same species, same temperament, same size, with the ideal aquascape (meaning you need to do your research and give territorial Cichlids lots of different territories and stuff to hid in or give open water swimmers plenty of room to move around without crowding or cornering each other.) Just experiment a little bit. Try to get them as juveniles and if they develop too much aggression or one gets bullied, most LFSs will buy them back for store credit.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Leeman75
Replies
Views
Leeman75
Replies