Question What can I put in a 15 gallon tank with my female beta fish?

BBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Recently I moved my betta fish from her 5.5 gallon tank, to a 15 gallon, and it looks a bit barren. I am looking for a variety of fish, some bottom, middle, and top fish would be great! I don’t want to have to much bio load, and I don’t want to difficult of fish or invertebrates. My betta fish had previously been in different tanks with other peaceful schooling fish and did great with them, a super chill and sweet betta fish! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Mandy627

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could get a couple Cory's, I have kept them in community tanks with Bettas with no issue, but a 15 gallon would be small for the preferred amount of friends they would like (5+), but you could pull off 3 and probably still have room for a nirite snail which could help clean and are not asexual. Snails are a preference though. as far as fish goes I wouldn't get any other kind of labyrinth fish or anyone with a lot of color, those traits usually spark an aggressive side for Bettas and they can nip fins at night when others are resting, which leads to secondary illnesses and stress.

OP
BBetta

BBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mandy627 said:
You could get a couple Cory's, I have kept them in community tanks with Bettas with no issue, but a 15 gallon would be small for the preferred amount of friends they would like (5+), but you could pull off 3 and probably still have room for a nirite snail which could help clean and are not asexual. Snails are a preference though. as far as fish goes I wouldn't get any other kind of labyrinth fish or anyone with a lot of color, those traits usually spark an aggressive side for Bettas and they can nip fins at night when others are resting, which leads to secondary illnesses and stress.
I would want to put her with some sort of a schooling fish, but I know small nano fish, are a bit of fin nippers, and sadly the neons that I had in my betta tank a long time ago, tore up my bettas fins and he passed away. So I am always so nervous to mix betta fish and fish that could be fin nippers.

Mandy627

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BBetta said:
I would want to put her with some sort of a schooling fish, but I know small nano fish, are a bit of fin nippers, and sadly the neons that I had in my betta tank a long time ago, tore up my bettas fins and he passed away. So I am always so nervous to mix betta fish and fish that could be fin nippers.
Cory's school and stay at bottom of the tank, that is why I think they work. Any fish that stays at top will end up meeting the betta, and most species want their own "nitche" , and rather not share the same section. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but as far as top dwellers go I would save that for the betta and even add floating plants for her. Fast moving fish that are mid section swimmers might work, like guppies but they don't school and might attract bad attention.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could try adding 6-8 harlequin rasbora. Make sure to add at least 6. , stressed fish are more likly to be fin nippy. But add then on a day that you can observe, and come back often and keep checking them. as sometimes fish act different then expected.
or
5-8 DWARF cory catfish should work, you need to keep at least 5 of then. These fish are fun and cute, and make up for not being colorful, especally when they are kept in good sized shoals.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom