What Can I Keep With My Guppies?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Christa2019, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Christa2019

Christa2019 New Member Member

Currently I have a 10gal tank that has been up and running smoothly for about 5 months; I have two male guppies that seem to get along great, a group of dwarf cory cats, two Amano shrimp, and one "mystery" snail. I also have quite a few plants with stone and drift wood for hiding places. I already do weekly water changes and have no problems devoting (more) time to my tank maintenance. I want to get more fish to liven up my tank, but I fear over stocking with such a small tank. I was hoping I could get some advice and suggestions as to what I could possibly add :)

Also please note that I am fairly new to the aquarium hobby and am trying my best to learn all that I can and keep my fish happy and healthy!

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

I don't feel like you should be adding any other species of fish other than 3-4 more male guppies. Very few fish can do will in a 10gal with guppies and bettas being the most widely available. I would not be adding any bettas though, they tend to hate guppies and often tear their colorful tails off.

No tetra species should be in a ten either (IMO) as they need groups and plenty of space to swim. You already have some bottom feeders so getting anything else would be unfair to the corries. Depending on how many corries you have, you can get a few more of those as it's the more the merrier with corries, a group of 6+ is a good minimum.

I say pick a few more male guppies, they like to be in groups as well and I think your tank can handle the bio-load. Are the plants real or fake? With live plants you can really overstock a tank (I've got 4 female bettas with 4 kuhli loaches and a nerite snail in my planted 10gal)

3. OP
    OP
    Christa2019

I have got 4 corys, that's what was recommended to me when I bought them, but I may consider getting more if it would be good for my tank. The plants I have are real; I'm going to try to attach a photo of my tank from a week or two ago. They are growing great and I may even be adding more soon. I was thinking it may be best to get more male guppies, but I wasn't sure if there were more options or if they would become territorial/aggressive :)

Attached Files:

4. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't add more guppies (maybe just one so no more then three), they really like to swim and stretch out... maybe 4 endlers as well? You can do a search for nano fish and maybe find something else you like...

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I would rehome the cories, they need a larger tank than this.

6. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Rehome the cory cats, and then you can add in some endlers

7. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Two more male guppies, maybe another cory. I'm an 'overstocker'. I wouldn't do too much more though.

8. aquatickeeper

I wouldn't add another cory, I would rehome them

9. OP
    OP
    Christa2019

I really like my little dwarf corys, and I don't have any where to rehome them to except back to the pet store :( Why do you recommend rehoming them?

I've read that dwarf corys are fine in a ten gallon in a group? They're not full sized cory cats, they're corydoras habrosus (dwarf corys).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2017
  10. aquatickeeper

Dwarf cories are very active and need a minimum of 6 of it's own species in a tank because they are social fish.

You can upgrade your tank to at least a 20 gallon tank.

11. OP
    OP
    Christa2019

What would you recommend to be 'bottom feeders' in a 10g?

12. aquatickeeper

Nerite snails, they don't breed in freshwater but eat algae.

13. MattS99

I wouldn't rehome them.

14. OP
    OP
    Christa2019

I think I am leaning towards adding 1 or 2 more male guppies :)

15. FlutterFish

FlutterFish Well Known Member Member

I would definitely rehome the corys. a) You need a group of at least 6, which would ultimately overstock your tank and b) pygmy/dwarf corys, albeit small, are EXTREMELY active. Active fish need at least a 20 gallon long, they'll do okay in a 10, but thrive in a 20. If you want to keep them, upgrade.

If you re home the corys, though, you'll be okay with 1 - 2 guppies.

16. MattS99

It's up to you, you know your fish better than us. If they're happy and thriving, keep them! That's what I'd do anyway.

17. aquatickeeper

Sometimes, you can't see how they feel about their environment. The only thing you'll notice is the shortened lifespan.

18. MattS99

If you're observant enough you know how your fish are doing.

19. aquatickeeper

Not always

20. MattS99

Yes, always. Watch enough. Find their natural behaviors, eating patterns, coloration, etc. If they act 'normal' nothing's different. If something changes, then their mood/health has changed for either the better or worse. Every fish has it's own personality, you have to get to know it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice