What Can I Keep In A 3.5 Gallon?

nicoless

Valued Member
Messages
67
Reaction score
8
Points
28
Experience
Just started
I was given a TopFin "BettaFlo" 3.5 gallon tank. What might be happy in there? Shrimp maybe?

It has LED lights, and I was also wondering if you can grow plants with those.

Thanks : )
 

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Messages
813
Reaction score
389
Points
78
Experience
5 years
nicoless said:
I was given a TopFin "BettaFlo" 3.5 gallon tank. What might be happy in there? Shrimp maybe?

It has LED lights, and I was also wondering if you can grow plants with those.

Thanks : )
Shrimp and snails would be fine but nothing else. Lights all depend on what you are trying to grow.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

nicoless

Valued Member
Messages
67
Reaction score
8
Points
28
Experience
Just started
danhutchins said:
Shrimp and snails would be fine but nothing else. Lights all depend on what you are trying to grow.
Thank you! I have some Java ferns and a rosette sword- would they be ok? I think they are low light plants?
 

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Messages
2,682
Reaction score
1,849
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
A betta is the only fish you could keep in it, and I wouldnt put anything else in there with him. Otherwise shrimp and/or snails only.
 

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Messages
813
Reaction score
389
Points
78
Experience
5 years
nicoless said:
Thank you! I have some Java ferns and a rosette sword- would they be ok? I think they are low light plants?
They should be fine. What are you using for substrate? If I remember correctly those plants are heavy root feeders so you would need nutrients at the roots for them to do well. Even root tabs if the substrate is to much $.
 

Dch48

Well Known Member
Messages
2,240
Reaction score
1,436
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a Betta, a Nerite snail and a Mystery snail in my 3.5 and all is well. I have seen the tank you have and almost bought it. I just didn't like that the filter is undergravel and comes up as a cylinder in the middle of the circular tank .

Rooted plants can become a problem with an undergravel filter. Java Fern and Anubias should do well. Neither are root feeders so need no tabs. I have both in my tank and they are growing without adding any kind of supplements.
 

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
414
Points
248
Experience
3 years
I would say pygmy sunfish, but those take a fairly experienced (and dedicated, mine took have the freezer for their frozen food) fishkeeper. I would go for a betta or a nice shrimp tank.
 

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Messages
2,682
Reaction score
1,849
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
nicoless said:
Thank you! I have some Java ferns and a rosette sword- would they be ok? I think they are low light plants?
Java fern would be great in a little tank like that. Java fern is NOT a root feeder, it is a rhizome feeder. You cant plant it, just put it in and let it be. It WILL shoot out little roots into the substrate and anchor itself, but its not a root feeder and doesnt need any special care. Low light is best for it.

I wouldnt do the rosette sword normally, but since you have it you can try it. Its a small plant and it DOES need to be "planted" as it is a root feeder. It is pretty hardy but sometimes demanding. I have grown it in medium light tanks with roots tabs.

For a small tank with a betta and those 2 plants, Id definitely do a sand bottom. Toss in a couple moss balls and stick a clipping of pothos in the top and youll have a nice little tank.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14

nicoless

Valued Member
Messages
67
Reaction score
8
Points
28
Experience
Just started
Dch48 said:
I have a Betta, a Nerite snail and a Mystery snail in my 3.5 and all is well. I have seen the tank you have and almost bought it. I just didn't like that the filter is undergravel and comes up as a cylinder in the middle of the circular tank .

Rooted plants can become a problem with an undergravel filter. Java Fern and Anubias should do well. Neither are root feeders so need no tabs. I have both in my tank and they are growing without adding any kind of supplements.
I don't like the big center filter either. I was going to replace it with a small sponge filter. That should make everything easier with the plants, too. Thank you!

danhutchins said:
They should be fine. What are you using for substrate? If I remember correctly those plants are heavy root feeders so you would need nutrients at the roots for them to do well. Even root tabs if the substrate is to much $.
I've got a mixture of Fluorite Black and gravel. I'll keep an eye on them and supplement tabs if necessary. Was also thinking of trying Eco Complete (no experience with it).

Thanks to all! I'm leaning toward a planted shrimp tank with maybe a snail as well. Don't want to overdo it.
 

dwarfpufferlover

Well Known Member
Messages
572
Reaction score
264
Points
93
Experience
2 years
scarface said:
Hara jerdoni, Thai Micro Crabs, Pom Poms, African Dwarf Frogs, and a few others that I can’t recall right now. All better choices than a betta, in my opinion.
Micro crabs are awesome.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom