What Can I Keep In A 10g Tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Kysarkel000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Kysarkel000

Kysarkel000Well Known MemberMember

Hello everyone!

I'm a fairly new aquarist, but have been reading ALOT of posts on here doing research about cycling n' stuff.

Anyway, I have a brand new 10 gallon aquarium that I'll be setting up in a few weeks and I was wondering what kind of fish I can put in it. I'd like to have a variety fish and some shrimp if possible. Also, my boyfriend wants some kind of a fish that is really active, not one(s) that just float in place.

He really wants a shark-like fish, but I think 10 gallons might be too small for that style of fish.

I really want one of those orange bristle nosed plecos. Is it okay to keep one in a 10g tank with some other fish? And if so, do they get along with shrimp?

Another fish I was looking at was loaches. Can they be kept in 10g? And are they a schooling fish?

Any advice and/or recommendations are appreciated, thank you!!

2. betta12

betta12New MemberMember

A kuhli loach school would be a sort of shark/eel combo for him. And as long as they have adequate hiding space I think that they would do great. You need 3+ probably 5 for them to feel comfortable. I'm not an expert though so I'm not sure if they would fit in a 10 gal. As Shrimp Neocaridina come in lots of colors but ghost-shrimp are very cheap 40ยข

3. Aster

AsterWell Known MemberMember

Stocking List for 10 Gallons

Most fish are active under the right conditions, if they're floating in place there's usually something wrong with the water or they're sick.

No plecos, sharks, or loaches in a 10g unfortunately.

Shrimp are low-bioload and fine! If you want a breeding colony, I'd start with some red cherry shrimp. Otherwise, ghosts and amanos are popular too. Shrimp tend to be sensitive to water quality, so I'd be sure the tank is cycled before adding any.

What about male guppies? They come in different color morphs and they're very active. You could do 5-6 with shrimp.

4. JeffK

JeffKWell Known MemberMember

If you could find them, you could get 8-10 male endlers for your 10 gal (and still get the shrimp). Endlers are sort of like mini-guppies with lots of spunk and great colors!

5. OP
    OP
    Kysarkel000

Thanks everyone!

@Aster: that link you posted was supper helpful! Thanks!

I'm thinking of getting some fancy guppys and red cherry shrimp for sure, but also banjo catfish, Pea puffer, Licorice gouramis, Nannoplecostomus eleonorae, and Pygmy sunfish are on my list ( obviously I have to pick and choose)!

Any suggestions on what looks good together?

6. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Can never go wrong with male guppies and shrimp. I'd really only keep it to those two specific species in a tank that small.

7. Aster

AsterWell Known MemberMember

What are your options for buying? Those species you listed are pretty uncommon and you might have to special order them from a LFS or order online.

If you want a pea puffer I believe those are best in species only tanks, not sure about the others.

8. guilzNew MemberMember

add 1-3 snails. hehe

9. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

How about this:

6x ember tetras
    3x endlers
    a few nerite snails

10. OP
    OP
    Kysarkel000

There is a LFS not far from where I live and if they don't have something I want, I'm okay with ordering online too :)

I'm not a big fan of the tetras or endlers, thanks though

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  11. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

How about 12 celestial pearl danios and some red cherry shrimp and 2 nerite snails?

12. aquatickeeper

Oh, I see:(

13. MattS99

Can always go with a honey gourami, a school of smaller tetras of your choice or the CPDs, and a couple nerites. Don't worry, HGs are very peaceful and friendly for a gourami.

14. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't do honey gouramis in a 10g, personally, sparkling gouramis would be better imo.

15. MattS99

True, could probably get a small group. But my dream stock for a 10 would be heavily planted with the honey gourami, 6-8 CPDs, and a couple nerites. Now that's a nice fish tank.

16. Lynn78too

Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

What about 5-6 harlequin rasporas? They're active and they school nicely.

17. MattS99

They might be too active for the 10, IMO. And they're jumpers.

18. Lynn78too

Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

I didn't know they were jumpers. I guess when one goes missing I'll know where to look.

19. MattS99

I had some. None died naturally. They all jumped. I swear, they would have lived forever.

20. aquatickeeper

Those need a minimum of 20 gallons

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice