What Can I Fit In A 5 Gallon Tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Ozzy, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Ozzy

Ozzy Valued Member Member

I broke out my 20 gallon and it's in the process of cycling! That means soon, my five gallon will be free for new inhabitants. I was wondering what I could stock this with?

I was thinking an invert tank would be interesting such as shrimps and snails, but are there any types of fish I can put in there?

I wont be doing this any time soon, I just want to know my options!

2. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Bettas and dwarf puffer are the only fish that fit in a 5 gal tank. Dwarf puffers are not hard to care for but do have special needs that have to be met.
    An invert tank sounds pretty interesting, I would go with that.
    By the way what inhabitants does your 5 gal has? The fact that you said it in plural makes me believe it is overstocked. Make sure to do frequent water changes until your 20 is ready so the fish in the 5 gal can hold on while their new mansion is ready :)

3. OP
    OP
    Ozzy

Ozzy Valued Member Member

Awe I never heard of a dwarf puffer but they look cute, I'll have to read up on them if to do nothing but dream atm ! Hahah

Oh yeah, it's pretty over stocked. I finally got the filter I needed in order to move them but its a betta, a dwarf frog and a couple otos. Gonna work on getting a school of them after the move!

4. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

5. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

6. BeanFish

It all depends on who you ask to. I see my 10 gal as pretty small, I could not see a school of endlers in a 5 gal but as I said, depends to who you ask.

7. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

That's why just here there are 17 people building that list. Many more elsewhere.

8. BeanFish

And what is that supposed to mean? There is no right or wrong in fishkeeping, specially in this kind of situations. I know that a lot of knowledgeable members made the list and that is fine, but I disagree. For starters I like to keep schooling fish in at least groups of 8 (they do so much better than the usual 6) and a 5 gal is just too small to my eyes. I am stating my opinion here so the OP gets to see both sides of the coin and makes an informed opinion.

9. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

One thing about that list is that I disagree with schooling fish being kept in a 5 gallon tank, it doesn't provide enough horizontal swimming space.

There are some other great options on there though that I do agree with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice