what can I feed the fishes?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by gulzarullah, Jul 5, 2015.

1. gulzarullahNew MemberMember

Sorry. I am a newbie in fishlore and got an aquarium from a friend as a gift. Now I don't know what I can feed the fishes as their are no fish food shops near my area. Is there any simple food that can be available at my home easily? The fishes are hungry since 4 days and i have no idea what to feed them.

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    What type of fish are they? Most will take flake food.

3. bettamars

bettamarsValued MemberMember

You should be able to find some flake food (depending on the type of fish) at any petco, petsmart, Walmart, or other pet/fish store in your area. Are there really no fish/pet stores in your area? You can do a quick google search for one in your area if you are unsure.

4. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

I would ask your friend where they bought the aquarium and fish from, they should sell fish food as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

The more important question should be, is your tank cycled?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. felix

felixValued MemberMember

Buy flake food. But crumble some bread and put it in the aquarium for now so your fish won't starve any time soon.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. Vulpes

VulpesValued MemberMember

WELCOME TO FISHLORE !!

IMO,wouldn't feed the fish bread,they don't provide the proper nutrients that a fish needs and they can also cause bloating.

There are many options other than commercial fish foods,but to list them we need know the species of fish you have.

If you don't have any suitable food on hand,don't worry,fish can spend a great deal of time without eating.But you should try to obtain some commercial fish food such as flakes,pellets or granules as soon as possible.

8. felix

felixValued MemberMember

I meant just to still their hunger. They haven't eaten for four days and they are starving.

9. ClearEyes

ClearEyesWell Known MemberMember

Four days isn't that bad. They can wait until OP finds a petstore somewhere.

10. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore gulzarullah

Until you can get to a store, there are some vegetables you can feed as well as mosquito larvae (from an uncontaminated water source).
    This, of course, would depend on what kind of fish you have.

11. felix

felixValued MemberMember

That depends if there are plants in the tank. I went away a weekend once and forgot the automatic feeder and my fish just ate from the plants/algae.

12. MtnTigerWell Known MemberMember

If the member set up his location correctly I highly doubt there is a Petco in Pakistan.

I would suggest asking your friend what he fed them and where he acquired them. Most likely you can use your local search engine to gather additional info on purchasing tropical fish and supplies.

You can also run a Google search on making your own fish food. I have seen a thread here on that subject some time ago.

Welcome to Fishlore and good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice