What can I feed BRAND NEW mystery babies?

JaneGael
These are literally minutes old. They just started popping in the last half hour. I have them in a breeding net, so no algae to eat. I dropped in a couple of minI wafers, both fishmeal and algae, but I have to keep them in the net until I figure out where to put them. The ones I dropped into my community 29 gallon didn't make it and I think the ghost shrimp probably ate them. My last hatch is just getting big enough to sell and that tank is more than full, so they can't go in there.

What would be good to feed these teeny little guys for a few days?

beavlee123
They eat the egg sack remains. Its their first source of food. They ate their way out of it. I took the sack with the babies falling out and gently shook it in the water to help the others break free. While very gently rubbing it break it apart. They will instinctively eat the remains of the sack.

Mcasella
After that you can feed them veggie slices - I give mine algae wafers, zucchinI and sometimes shrimp pellets. Things that have calcium and other needed minerals in them. I have never seen mine eat the egg sack..

beavlee123
Yes, get them on veggies when they're little. If you only feed them wafers and calcium blocks they will ignore veggies when they are mature.

JaneGael
Thanks for all the replies. I put the egg sack remains in the net, the HikarI algae wafers, a piece of blanched zucchinI and am hoping for the best. My last gang went directly into one of my Spec v tanks that is very peaceful and they did well since there was a lot of algae. If these guys starve it won't be for my lack of trying to feed them.

Bithimala
Yes, get them on veggies when they're little. If you only feed them wafers and calcium blocks they will ignore veggies when they are mature.
I can't agree with this statement enough. It took me a few months of snail jello to finally convince my oldest who was from PetSmart that veggies actually were food and she should eat them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kimlebl1
Replies
Views
WagglePets
Replies
Views
Gourami36
Replies
Views